Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Company policy problems with cloud cad

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited January 2017 in General
I recently sent out Onshape link to Germany where I had some of our parts to show machine producer what we aim to do so they can propose right machine for us.

This is what they answered:

Hello,

our system and administrator does not allow to use the link where you send the drawings.
We use Internet explorer.

I asked our software administrator to be able to connect- but no chance.

Can you please send Pdf drawings .

Has anyone else bump into problems where company policies deny usage of Onshape?
//rami

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, where I work they also use internet explorer and refuse to allow other browser downloads.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Bill Gates retired after congress told him he couldn't re-define the internet.

Microsoft has done some good, .innerhtml is a microsoft thing, but the good doesn't outweigh the bad.

Just know these IT guys are wrong and we'll just have to deal with them.

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I have a mate who teaches computers to prisoners. I thought it might be a good idea to teach them Onshape for their engineering careers after time, but not go, prison and the internet don't mix for obvious reasons.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    bruce-

Wow, prisoners not having access to onshape. You come up with some good ones!

You'd think an IT guy could lock down a router and make onshape work. If you think about it, learning onshape would be a great thing for these people.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Though it might be suspicious if they collaborate in document where is model of prison wall and spoon and they are making FEA analysis on how these two interact :D

To be honest it shouldn't take more than narrowing outgoing trafic into Onshape ip address - but then again, policies propably deny this (which might be good policy as usually bad hackers are way smarter than good hackers).

But I don't understand companies who deny the use of onshape, dropbox, google stuff but allow emails with attachments.
    //rami
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    3dcad said:
    Though it might be suspicious if they collaborate in document where is model of prison wall and spoon and they are making FEA analysis on how these two interact :D
    Also might need to inhibit the design of gliders and trebuchets...

Just for @3dcad ,perhaps there could also be a mid tier pricing plan, higher than EDU but less than PRO?

OS

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd

Just for @3dcad ,perhaps there could also be a mid tier pricing plan, higher than EDU but less than PRO?

OS

Owen, I didn't quite follow how middle tier pricing would affect into company policies? It's free to open web link, the problem is some companies won't let you access onshape.com, dropbox.com, youtube.com etc..?
    //rami
    Sorry @3dcad, that was a weak attempt at a joke.  Not quite a 5-finger discount... (Slang for stealing something.)

I'll be quiet now.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Might also have something to do with my incompetent skills understanding english =) Jokes are the the most difficult bit in foreign languages..
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    Might also have something to do with my incompetent skills understanding english =) Jokes are the the most difficult bit in foreign languages..
    Hi @3dcad, your english skills are very good.  I'd been reading the forum for a month before realising that it wasn't your first language.  :)

Am I correct in thinking you're from Norway?  I read a book over Christmas describing tremendous courage and spirit from the Norwegan people.  It would seem we in the UK owe a debt of gratitude to Norway.

All the best,
    Owen S. 
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Nope but pretty close, I'm from western Finland..
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    Nope but pretty close, I'm from western Finland..
    Opps, sorry for that.  In that case thank you for giving us Kimi Raikkonen  :)
    HWM-Water Ltd