Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hidden features of an assembly have started showing up in my drawings

colin_dalycolin_daly OS Professional Posts: 37 ✭✭
I didn't have this problem until now, but when I hide certain parts of an assembly and then go to create a drawing, the hidden parts show up in the drawing and I need them not to.  Has anyone else had this problem.  It just started a couple days ago, and I never had it before.

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I would have thought that this was normal operation, hide is only for visualisation in the assembly module.  Rather than using the hide you could use the suppress so things don't come into the drawing. Make sure you refresh your drawing to see changes made

Hopefully in the future we will be able to hide parts in an assembly from the drawing after insert but with no flow back effect,
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brett_suttonbrett_sutton Member Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem. The suppress idea doesn't work as often the part being suppressed is used as a reference for other parts and the whole model stops functioning.

The ability to create drawings from a part studio or assembly that 'honours' the hidden parts seems to be a very useful feature.

I can't quite see the concept of 'hiding' parts from the drawing as the drawing doesn't have sufficient detail to identify specific parts.

• johnny_1johnny_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I was looking for some similar functionality and solved it by creating a new assembly. 

Don't know if it is the best method. 
  • brett_suttonbrett_sutton Member Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    It's a lot of work if the part has lots of sub posts

I've had a play and section views solve some of the problems but still leaves the drawings with to much detail.

• chris_bottinochris_bottino Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I agree, something needs to be done for this.  Alot cannot be done in assembly, so I have to use derived in Part Studio.  Then drawing contains everything... A simple choice for what Parts are in drawing, from a Part Studio seems like a logical idea???
  • andres_bremerandres_bremer Member Posts: 3
    Is there a way to show all or hide all parts from an assembly?
    Regards
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    We need display states for drawings.

Many times I need to hide a guard in just one view to see the mechanism. (Without a mess of hidden lines, or section view)

Cast your vote:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9910/display-states-configurations
  • VaishVaish Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Any update on this??? Seems like such a useful functionality and without this creating drawings is getting super frustrating with each document having multiple sub-assemblies and having to make drawings of those subassemblies....!!!!!!!