Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I create a hole centermark without a hole?

chris_sturgischris_sturgis Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
I have a piece that comes in 4 faucet configurations. 1 w/o a faucet hole, 1 w/ 4" center holes, 1 w/ 8" center holes, and 1 w/ a single hole. I am putting all of these configurations on a single drawing, at first i tried to do this with versions of the same part studio but ended up just adding 4 of the same part in a single part studio because you cant put different versions on a single drawing. That is beside the point however. 

In the main body of my drawing I am using the blank panel w/ no hole. I would like to dimension to the point where the single hole would be and then use detail views to show the hole options dimensioning from that single point. Is there a way to add a point or centermark in a random space? 

Side question about center marks, can we angle them to align to a bolt circle center?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    I have been using circles to get center lines. Once the center lines and dimensions are added to the drawing, change circle diameter in part studio to .001" so it is not visible in drawing. If something gets out of sorts and needs redoing then temporarily change back to visible size.
  • chris_sturgischris_sturgis Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @chris_sturgis - one easy way to create your hole configurations is to create your part without the holes then use Transform/Copy in Place 4 times to create new parts that are identical. You can then add your hole configurations to each of these parts and use them in your drawing.

That's how i ended up taking care of it actually. I added views off the sheet of each of the alternate designs and detail views on the sheet of the area where the faucet holes are.
  • chris_sturgischris_sturgis Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Additionally I ended up just adding a 2pt centerline for the height and handling the other dimensions in the detail views.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Use same to get bend lines on flat pattern.
  • H_WangH_Wang Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @chris_sturgis - one easy way to create your hole configurations is to create your part without the holes then use Transform/Copy in Place 4 times to create new parts that are identical. You can then add your hole configurations to each of these parts and use them in your drawing.

But, to answer your question, no you can't add a centermark in space but you can add two, two point centerlines. And no, PCD centerlines do not show angled centermarks though I wish they did: please raise an improvement request in the category to the right ---->

Absolutely needed, Onshape team, please! This is the way our drawing can look more professional.