Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Wasting time trying to upgrade SOLIDWORKS...

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited March 2015 in General
I just wasted 2 hours in the office, trying to upgrade (clean install) from SOLIDWORKS 2014 to 2015.
After 1.5 hours of failed attempts ("There is a problem with this Windows Installer package"), I finally found the culprit: a Visual C++ Redistributable Package installation gone rogue. I had to do a repair install of 'Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4' to fix the problem.

Windows can be so evil...

Dries

Comments

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    The recent upgrade of Onshape was horrible too. It took me almost a second to realize it was upgraded. :) 
    Definitely a Onshape advantage 
  • shaun_3shaun_3 Member Posts: 11
    Ben said:
    The recent upgrade of Onshape was horrible too. It took me almost a second to realize it was upgraded. :) 
    Definitely a Onshape advantage 
    Made me chuckle. Honestly, I don't think that the day is all that far off where we stop spending money on SW here...Time will tell.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I spent 3 days trying to upgrade windows 7 to service pack 1 so I could load SW 2014. I'm so disgusted with the whole process I didn't try to load SW 2014, instead I asked my customer to send me a parasolids file. It's way easier dealing with dumb solids versus trying to keep up to date with the current SW revision.

Would you please tell people to stop updating their SW? Tell'm to save some money (lot's of money). Make this old man happy and stop upgrading your SW license(s), please.

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Throw an EPDM environment into the mix and the aggregation factor raises by a factor of 10.
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Throw an EPDM environment into the mix and the aggregation factor raises by a factor of 10.
    Ha! We've got an EPDM upgrade (2014 to 2015) scheduled on coming Monday...
    *fingers crossed*  :#

Dries
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Good luck @DriesVervoort_Caradon. Has the install been customized very much? A lot of scripts? I think for me, this is the single biggest advantage of Onshape and they were absolutely right in building a design tool around a database platform and not the other way around. So much more efficient. 1000 thank you's.