Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extending linear pattern feature

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Currently we can define linear pattern by step and instance count only, but there are several more ways - by distance and step, by distance and instance count, to the specific object and step/instance_count
Tagged:

Comments

• KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    and instance count + uneqal steps
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    What specifically are you trying to solve?  Currently we have:
    • Face and part: (will ask for distance (between) and instance count
    • Feature: Same options but can include variables so do unequal steps incrementing
    If you need something like distance along a path (even if the path is straight) you can use the curve pattern which will equally space along the curve with an instance count.  Looking at this another way you will have three components you are after:
    1. Distance between (static or incrementing in length) each instance - Static = face/part/feature | Incrementing = feature only using variables.
    2. Number of instances
    3. Total distance between first instance (seed) and the last instance.
    From these three, there are really two methods:
    • Using 1 & 2 - Linear pattern (needs vector direction)
    • Using 2 & 3 - Curve pattern (uses path for direction)
    Let me know if I missed an approach you are after?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lougallo
    Basically you are right, curve pattern and measure_distance feature with round() function can cover all three cases for part studio. But in assemblies pattern defenition by step and distance along some edge/vector, and by instance_count+distance allows to have patterns with auto-adjustable number of instances. Any other pattern feature for assemblies requares manual editing for nubmber of features.
  • KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    How can you do this instance count + unequal steps (ref: CATIA v5) - except making sketch with dimensioned points (sketcher's pattern seems not having possibility for unequal distances):

• InventorByNightInventorByNight Member Posts: 4 EDU
    I have a workflow I used to use in SolidWorks that I don't see a way to do in OnShape. I would model a piece of square tubing, and linear-pattern a line of holes along the center of a face. In SolidWorks I could place the first hole near one edge, select "up to reference" in the linear pattern and select the opposite edge as the reference. Then set the distance from the reference, select "Centroid" and set the spacing distance between holes. This would create the hole pattern so that there would always be the appropriate number of holes, even if I later edit the length of the square tubing. It was a huge timesaver early in the design process when we were constantly changing the length of the tubing. I don't see any way of accomplishing this in OnShape.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO

You could get there with a face pattern being driven by a couple of variables. If you use the "Measure Distance" featurescript, or just a standard variable to set the tube in the first place, then you can use expressions such as "floor/ceil" aka round down/round up to calc. the number of holes required should the tube length change.  I bit convoluted I'll grant you but doable today. 

Just make sure you use face or feature pattern for the holes as these accept variables for instances, where as sketch patterns don't. 

Hope some of that helps,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
  • sergei_nesterovsergei_nesterov Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I also have thoughts about improving arrays. Existing arrays have little functionality.
    For Part Studio:
    This is exactly what WE need, just need to simplify the interface. 
    The following user steps are required:
    - to select a face/sketch (rectangle  or circle)
    - to select a part for array
    to specify the offset from the edge
    - to 
    specify the number of elements in the straight direction and perpendicular/radial direction
     It is ALL.

For sketch:
    There is a lack of the centered circular and rectangular array. Like this:
    1) Specify the center of the array, the number of copies in two directions, and the distance between the copies.

2) Specify the center of the array, the number of concentric copies, the number of radial copies .

3) you can also automate the filling of a sketch rectangle or circle with copies of an sketch element like in mbartlett21 said:

• morgin_blackmorgin_black Member Posts: 7
    i take it this has been dumped? this would save so much time