Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Few questions

joey_cjoey_c Member Posts: 1
I am new to CAD and onshape so I have a few questions

1- how can I manually set dimensions 
2- how can I transform the shapen when I am done constructing it?

I am using the mobile version. 

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO
    edited April 2017
    what do you mean by manually set dimensions
    dimensions are inherently manual.

The dim command is located in the sketch tools menu, and is only accessible if you are currently editing a sketch

It is good practice to draw your part in it's final position, rather than drawing it, then moving it later.
    But sometimes a transform is necessary... There is a "Transform" feature in the feature menu, you have many transform options to choose from
    including:
    by line (either select an edge of a part, or sketch a line and use it as the direction and distance you desire, perfect for keeping your transform's related)
    by distance XYZ
    Rotate
    Scale
    etc..

If you want to transform your sketch lines while editing a sketch, select what you want to move, then press hold and drag one of the points, it will follow your finger in the XY direction.

If you need to rotate a sketch, this can be tricky in the mobile version:
    first make sure you have no "vertical/horizontal" constraints that will limit your movement
    then draw a line that is fully defined / fixed, and use an angle dimension to control it

Or fix one point and try to drag the other point around the fixed one

Let me know if this helps
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @joey_c ,

In addition to what John is saying above, I think some of the videos over at https://www.onshape.com/videos/topic/tutorials may be helpful for you.  While we try to make learning Onshape as easy as possible, there is still a learning curve for getting into the CAD mindset.  Here are some good videos for learning the basics.

Sketching: https://www.onshape.com/videos/sketching-basics-onshape
    Sketch Dimensioning: https://www.onshape.com/videos/dimensions-and-constraints

After those you may want to watch Extrude, Revolve, and Sweep to turn a sketch into a 3-dimensional object.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team