Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Working with Vendors

curtis_vancuracurtis_vancura OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO

From his comment, brucebartlett got me thinking. 

When I have completed a prototype design for a part (Machined, Die cast or Injection Molded), and am ready to present to OEM factories for quotes, I understand the contractor will review the design. I want to encourage him to make recommendations for improvement, draft angle requirements, manufacturability, etc. It seems the most efficient way for him to do this is right in the cloud part studio or on its associated drawing.

So I want to share an editable copy of a part studio from the document which has many part studios, so he can implement his suggestions into the design, and make comments on the drawing. He will need to be able to view the assembly the part is used in, so he can see how the part is used. Since I want to keep the other parts somewhat proprietary, I would want to show him only a .step representation of the other parts, not the full design, and maybe will make ‘block’ representations of the other parts instead of the .step versions of the real parts -I am open to suggestions on this.

I want to do this for multiple vendors, and for multiple parts.

I want to then incorporate these changes into my design master document without remaking the part. That means I will need to transfer the revised part studio back to the master document.

What I am imagining may be possible is to make a copy of my master document just for him. Instruct him to incorporate his suggestions, wait for my review and upon acceptance, I will make a version with a Part Number and a Revision Number which he will use to make his quote.

Then, for each vendor I have accepted quotes from, the winning vendor's versions for all the components (some are machined, off-the-shelf, die cast, injection molded, etc.) would be transferred to my master document for final inspection with all the revisions incorporated into the master assembly where they will be reviewed together before purchase orders are cut.

I could offer to the vendor that you “could now create another new branch for yourself to add the bit's you need for programming tool paths and download a step file to build the parts”, or other appropriate work as brucebartlett suggested. (Thanks, Bruce!)

I am just about to send my first big project (mass volume, only 6 parts to the assembly) out for quotes, so some practical suggestions would really be of help here.

Comments

• Options
    Presuming I am able to work this out, what suggestions could I list for the vendor to help him see the benefits of working in this cloud based approach - to sell him on the idea if he's new to it?
  • Options
    eric_laueric_lau Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    @curtis_vancura it looks like this is an old thread but I am looking for similar advice. Can you share the approach that you settled upon for sharing/collaborating with your vendors?
  • Options
    Sorry, Eric, I have not yet found a vendor that has engaged in this manner for the project... hard to settle on what doesn't get accepted.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2017
    Hi Curtis,

Thanks for adding to the vision and I think I understand what you want to achieve. It's taken me a while to post back but I've been thinking about some solutions. There are already a few different tools in place for breaking documents apart, sharing and putting back together. Here's a method I just tried using the version graph and move a document tab. I versioned and then branched, for 2 different vendors. I then moved the part studio tabs with the parts for quotations out into their own document, this could be then shared with the vendor.. the vendor can make changes to the document, I tried this by adding some fillets, then moving the tab back to the branch and merging into the main node and it all seemed to work ok.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Thanks, Bruce, in an addendum to my post, I asked: "what suggestions could I list for the vendor to help him see the benefits of working in this cloud based approach - to sell him on the idea if he's new to it?".
    Thanks for the example, it does help demonstrate the path that helps enable this type of collaboration. I believe the Onshape platform is in a unique position to help pioneer a new and effective way to streamline a cooperative environment that will save time ($) during product development both within organizations, and between primes and vendors.
    As a Mentor, I suspect you are not in a position to do marketing work for Onshape, and I am neither a power user, nor do I have the time, deep familiarity, or market experience that would enable me to develop a well-informed marketing blog or whatever type of document that would help my vendors be inspired to try out this type of collaboration. 
    I am looking forward to some type of well-written document that will help me inspire my vendors in this regard.
    The type of document I envision would help the most is one that will help my vendor prospects see the benefits for them in choosing this collaboration option. So far, I have not been successful.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I think the biggest hurdle is familiarity with Onshape from the vendor. When you approach a vendor, you want to make the process as easily as possible for them to quote so you get the cheapest part. In my experience asking the vendor to signup and do something in a foreign CAD program just complicates the process. However, as more vendors become familiar with Onshape or even see the opportunities by having it as their primary tool, you will be able to collaborate on parts during quotation. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Thanks, Bruce, you are spot-on.
    The underlying assistance that I believe would help accelerate the acceptance and use of Onshape in the marketplace is ..."approaching a vendor"... with verbiage that  ..."makes the process as easy as possible for them to quote so you get the cheapest part." This 'foreign' CAD program has many benefits that I believe should un-complicate the process because of its unique features. I believe collaboration as it is typically (traditionally) accomplished is a weak and inefficient process where Onshape is in the position to 'save the day'.
    I believe that having Onshape as a vendor's 'primary tool' is not necessary. The familiarity you speak of is important.
    Some way of inspiring them to take the plunge based on proven and inspiring stories and testimonies of vendors who have successfully used the platform and experienced significant benefits as a result, along with a list of the benefits that would speak to their perceived needs/challenges in their work processes I believe is needed. This would give them a 'bridge' to 'see themselves' benefiting as well.
    They need something (and I need something) that will assist them in making the decision to have personal experience in trying out the process. Just hearing my assertion that it will be good seems not to be enough. I believe they need to see some sort of consensus in the marketplace to become self-assured that it will be worth the plunge. 
    In addition, the process needs to be 'mapped out' for both the engineers/designers and the vendors showing how Onshape features streamline the 
    collaboration process. Will this not, by itself, help to accelerate the acceptance of Onshape in the marketplace?
    Perhaps someone on the staff would be well-advised to go the 'extra mile' and help walk a few users through the process. A 'test study', if you will. I believe great lessons will be learned, and valuable marketing material would be generated as a result. I have seen many companies use this process with great benefit.
    (Onshape marketing staff -are u listening?)