Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Update to Aerofoil Scripts

darren_13darren_13 Member, Developers Posts: 118 ✭✭
Firstly, I have implemented a new aerofoil script which Superceeds the NACA 4 digit and Profile Importer/Generator.

Un-originally I have named it 'Profile Generator', I suggest deleting the old one first then re-importing :)

As you can see I have merged NACA and generator into one script, this is the small change. The large changes are:

- Just under 1600 Aerofoils have been added, removing the need to request your required aerofoil.
- TE joining for open trailing edge profiles (currently only by a line).
- The ability to choose between single and double splines (upper and lower), this makes the trailing edge sharp instead of rounded.
- Smoothing for the leading edge if using two splines, this makes the tip rounder. you can also define the magnitude of smoothing.

Also, I have added a script for splitting a wing into a structure consisting of ribs, spars and bars:

There is no documentation currently for this so please look at application example 4 to see how I used it. The intention for this script is to be able to quickly generate structural designs for FEA analysis without spending many hours in CAD. Once settled upon the best setup the user can then go back and perfect the design, either from the original wing or modify the generated structure.

Any feedback is welcomed, I hope you can make good use of these scripts.
Darren

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Darren - this looks awesome, i would love to try it.
    Would you please post a link to the document here?
    Thank you.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    darren_13darren_13 Member, Developers Posts: 118 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi @philip_thomas, yes sorry I was meant to include in the post. Here it is:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4bf18c75321ea2c8c2ea770d/w/978aece63f59e09169309756/e/33ccd206b1a4ad41d4c9780e

The setup for aerofoils is mostly the same as it is in the documentation, just with the additional options. Also, see 'application example 1' for the new aerofoil script

Cheers,
    Darren
  • Options
    adam_rodriguesadam_rodrigues Member Posts: 3 EDU
    This is porbably a obvious question but how do you create the outer skin for an aerofoil. I added the profile script  and created a NACA 2412 profile, extruded it and duplicated the ribs for my wing using a linear pattern but I still can't figure out how to make an outer skin. Can anyone help me?
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    Loft a surface and thicken is one of many ways. It also really depends on what you want to be able to do with the skin. Is this just a visual model? Will this be used to build a real plane or a scale model? Is the skin going to be made with fabric or carbon fiber or aluminum etc.....
  • Options
    adam_rodriguesadam_rodrigues Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Thnaks for the help! I intend to 3d print with  the model with PLA, not to be used on any model aircraft.
  • Options
    florian_verheinflorian_verhein Member Posts: 2
    Awesome work @darren_13! Is there away to add additional airfoils? Like providing a path to a CSV file? E.g. I don't see HS522 or MH60 that I'd like to use. Thank you!