Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet metal questions

JP10JP10 Member, Developers Posts: 5 ✭✭
Although, I realize sheet metal is relatively new, I was curious if anyone has any answers for these questions.

1. Since the "flat view" isn't a feature is there a way to access the code or will it forever be off limits?
      a. Exporting a dxf 
      b. Accessing information such as bounding box, number of pierces, inner and outer lengths, etc.
2. Unfolding/folding to create a part, such as the following?

-JP

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    For item #2

+1

I wish they could let you show the sheet metal part in the flattened state in the model, instead of out-of-context in the side-by-side sheet metal view.
    I understand why they did it this way, they don't want to worry about breaking your references between other parts.

But I think this can be handled in the tree by adding a "flatten/un-flatten" feature in the tree. Just like they did for "Finish Sheet-Metal" feature.

That way you could add features in the flattened state and bring it back to bent, and continue working off the part with pin-point control of the sheet metal part without worrying about breaking everything beneath it in the tree.

Sometimes it is better for design intend to cut a profile on the flat part, and bend it up later. (Like a logo that appears on the outside of a cylinder shaped sheet-metal part). Instead of writing (or hoping someone writes) a featurescript, when it could be done with a regular extrude cut on the flat pattern...
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @JP10 , @john_mcclary
    Thank you for your input.
    Direct DXF export of sheet metal flat is coming soon.
    Measuring distances/entities within same flat part is available now.
    Ability to cut flat part is in our plans, please vote for the corresponding improvement request.
  • Options
    JP10JP10 Member, Developers Posts: 5 ✭✭
    @lana

Although, manually measuring in the flat pattern is useful, it should automatically tell you the cut list properties if you ask it too. Without access to the flat part, we can't even write a feature script to pull that information automatically. This information can be helpful when estimating manufacturing time and costs. (See picture)

For those interested, from what I can tell these are the closest improvement requests.
    DXF improvement request: 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6059/direct-export-of-a-sheet-metal-dxf-including-bend-lines-laser-etch-lines-as-well-as-cut-lines

Flat part improvement requests:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5806/sheet-metal-tab-feature
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5748/sheet-metal-bend-notches

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    edited April 2017
    @J10 I see what you mean. Seems as a general functionality : specify measurements you are interested in and have an ability to view them in a table at any point in history. Am I describing it correctly ?
    BTW, Flat pattern is accessible to Feature script. qCorrespondingInFlat(selQuery) would  transfer selQuery item into corresponding item in flat pattern. Accessing a bend centerline might be a little harder, but if you want to write such a feature, I'd be happy to help.  On a second thought : Use of AllowFlattenedGeometry.YES filter would allow your custom feature to take selections directly from the flat view ( See use example in sheetMetalFlange.fs)