Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Revolving a Chamfer: "self-intersecting part"

Tru7hTru7h Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Hi Onshape community,

I'm building a cube part which needs a chamfer or fillet around a radius at one end. 

Here's the model in question:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b85abe8bdcf5d2c7143f049a/w/51f6d0201850ae8454cf22cc/e/2a79e73cd5fb80646ca7ce76

I'm attempting a revolve in remove mode to cut a chamfer on the part around a radius. I can't find another way to do that with the Chamfer or Fillet tool. It just wants to cut the corners along the square. This part will be lathed.

The error I'm getting when trying to rotate elements of Sketch 2 around the axis is: "Resolve1 did not generate properly. Resolve would create self-replicating part. <- Sketch 2"

FWIW I've also tried this with a triangle shape, rather than a radius, as searches popped up other people having this problem trying to create domes and spheres. Same issue. Also, changing the Revolve Type has no effect.

What on earth is going on?

Best Answer

Answers

• Tru7hTru7h Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks, that's definitely the problem! For the life of me, I can't figure out how you placed that sketch where you did though.

AAAAND all a guy has to do is open his big mouth for the solution to become obvious. Custom plane. Got it.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I created a plane using the 3-point method (which is similar to line-pt in other CAD systems).
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Further to @mahir's comment, a plane can be created between the Front and Right planes using the Mid Plane method; as with so much in Onshape there are many ways of doing this. As to which is best?
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fancy. I knew you could midplane parallel planes, but I didn't know it could be used to bisect planes at an angle.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Mid plane is a great example of pre-selection logic on an OS feature.  If we click, front plane, right plane, plane feature, accept, then it's clever enough to know that as we've selected 2 planes we can only want a mid plane.  So done in 4 clicks. 

We need more pre-selection cleverness in OS :)

Owen S,
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Well, you live and learn! @owen_sparks thanks for this tip and +1 for pre-selection cleverness.