Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Surfacing 2.0

Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
I've made a similar "brain dump" thread for items that I feel would be nice to see in the next go-around for Sheet Metal.

I have far less experience CAD modeling surfaces than I do Sheet Metal, but even so, there are a few items that I feel would really kick Surfacing in OS up a notch when it comes time to address it again. Please forgive me if it sounds like a quote from a SolidWorks pamphlet, that's the software I have most of my experience with.

- Join multiple faces into one, like the "knit" feature in SW

- Ability to switch back and forth between solid and surface models. For example, modeling a solid cube and deleting one face now gives you an open cube "box" that is a surface model. Modeling a planar face back into the void and knitting it gives you the option to turn the model back into a solid. I've used this particular type of functionality in Solidworks a LOT and would really like to be able to work like that again.

- Something other than "Loft" to create a surface, such as Boundary Surface, perhaps. Needs to have the option to set end conditions, etc.

- Sketch or Edge selection improvements: a sort of "selection tool" option while picking profiles to loft that let's me pick multiple segments of a sketch or surface edge to use as a profile. If there is already a way to do this, then I apologize.

- Ability to insert fillets in a surface model would be nice

- Extend surfaces, by single/multiple/all edges

- Trim surfaces with other surfaces, etc.

- Ruled surfaces

- Not directly a surfacing feature, but to me very important for surfacing --> 3D sketching!

I'm sure others that do surfacing on the regular can add more

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one more thing for surfaces - ability to use surface gometry in drawings because a lot of models are distributed in the surface geometry representation
  • amCADamCAD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Agree with everything.
    Especially the "knit surfaces" option would be pretty much a game-changer. 
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    @Ben_Misegades what way of working would you like to see for 3d sketching?

I'm a Featurescript developer, and though Onshape provides limited tools for surface management even at the api layer, it is quite possible to create entities.

If 3d sketching would be useful even without some of the other features you mention, let me know your thoughts and maybe I could make a Featurescript
  • Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    @dave_cowden I appreciate the offer of creating Featurescript to handle more 3D sketching. I'm not sure that I could pick out a few individual items of functionality that I'd like to see, 3D sketching as a whole is such an important thing, I really feel that it needs to be a full-blown feature added by OS.
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    ok thanks for that feedback!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Ruled surfaces:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d17d93235d69e6ec8f815b80

This may behave unpredictably on some edges, but generally it works fine :(
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • janos_horvathjanos_horvath Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    +1 for 3D sketching!!