Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ability to create helix spring with spring eyes

andreas_scholzandreas_scholz Member Posts: 14
I tried to create a helix spring with spring eyes one each end. Helix creation is no problem. Spring eyes I defined with a sketch and used composite curve to have a single guide curve for the sweep. I miss the functionality to add a 3D-corner with defined radius. Spring does not look fine at the moment.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I have moved this over to the Product feedback since this is a very specific need.  This could be done as a FeatureScript and features like this are the reason we created the language.  It does not make sense to add this to our helix tool but would make sense for a spring featurescript.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Hi lougallo,
    the possibility to add 3D-corners is not limited to create helix springs. This was the actual problem I had. It would also be useful to add 3D-corners between any other curves that intersect or are connected. Perhaps FeatureScript would be a solution as well. But I am not familiar to programming.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    while there is not 3d sketching functionality you may try to use briging curve
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c069ddefb6e8bbe1de68bec0/w/e5545c1c8009fef5a7cee3a4/e/4e1018563d5e889f70f49ee5

• Options
    Thank You for the hint. It is not exactly what I need (missing defined 3D-radius), but sufficient for the moment.
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    One thing to keep in mind is that a "3D corner" cannot always be an arc: if tangent lines to the two curves are not parallel and do not intersect in 3D (e.g., in the case shown), there is no arc that is tangent to both curves.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,376
    It is possible to build this with normal features, though it takes a few: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d6b22bb18dc3cfb687298460/w/6703ddb0819f93dab96a32d2/e/5107e20a58183eeda2f2a5d0

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for this solution. It is a little bit round the corner, but helpful!
  • Options
    @andreas_scholz - Part Studio 2 in the Doc above has a better solution

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Try this one, I think it has the transition your after, it was done a long time again and would be a lot easier now with the projected and composite curve like to mention, I was thinking would be also good to have variables to control this too. Just waiting for configurations to make a really nice version of this. Hope it helps.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cdae3a1f009f41e8b5dd7e9f/w/96a0850e944040979fd806e6/e/02d0b2e6e5f14132a6678321
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 61 PRO
    It would be nice to be able to project a helix curve on a sketch curve in Onshape, like what can apparently be done in Solidworks as shown in this video: https://youtu.be/de1J0zSc_Q8?t=205
  • Options
    @cedric_eveleigh392 that’s just a 2 sketch projection which can be done in Onshape. 
  • Options
    Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 61 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    @cedric_eveleigh392 that’s just a 2 sketch projection which can be done in Onshape. 
    Using the "Projected curve" feature?