Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What determines the preview image in the documents overview (and why does it show hidden entities)?

øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
In the document overview page there is a preview pane to the right (by clicking the circular info button).
This pane contains a preview image of the document, but what determines where this image is taken from? A document can have many part studios and assemblies, and I've seen no way to explicitly set which one should be used for the preview. It looks like it might be the last tab that had some edit done to it?

And also, when this preview shows a part studio that has a part with a helix in it, the helix will frequently (but not always) show in the preview, even if it is hidden in the actual part studio. This is slightly annoying, since it looks weird. Of course it isn't a real problem as such, it's just a visual flaw.

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    You are correct that it is the last tab to have an edit done to it is used as the preview thumbnail.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    You are correct that it is the last tab to have an edit done to it is used as the preview thumbnail.
    Ok, that's OK.
    But what about hidden entities showing in the thumbnail? Here I extruded a circle as a solid, then I extruded again as a surface, and on the surface I added a helix. Then both the surface and the helix were hidden (in the part studio). However, the thumbnail shows the helix (see attached screenshot).

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Ok, that's OK.
    But what about hidden entities showing in the thumbnail? Here I extruded a circle as a solid, then I extruded again as a surface, and on the surface I added a helix. Then both the surface and the helix were hidden (in the part studio). However, the thumbnail shows the helix (see attached screenshot).

This is an issue that I've added you to a ticket for.  Thumbnails of tabs should respect the visibility state of items in them.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is good to have custom oriented preview system.