Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hidden Detail - Questions and/or Improvement request

brian_edwardsbrian_edwards OS Professional Posts: 2
1. Is it possible to export to DWG with layers i.e. hidden detail showing on a separate layer?  This would be useful for my AutoCad friends so they could switch on or off.  Or of course I am interested in any workarounds here.
2.  If the above is not possible;  Could we have the option when showing hidden detail in drawing view to select a colour for the hidden detail?
3.  Is it possible to change the line weights of hidden detail lines?

Comments

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    edited June 2017
    Hi @brian_edwards ,

1. What do you mean "hidden detail showing on a separate layer?" I think you're asking if can the detail view itself be on its own layer. This cannot be done since layers really seperate line type. If you open our drawing in a 2D viewer, you'll see a Hidden layer, which controls all hidden lines and a DETAIL_VIEW_BORDER which controls just the border. I think what you're really looking for is control of the 'viewport' if talking in 2D editor terms. Unfortunately, when exported, the model is just a DWG with lines arcs and splines and has no view ports when opened in another system.

2. You cannot change the color of hidden lines for an individual view. You could change how all hidden lines are shown by editing a DWT in your favorite 2D editor and assigning a layer color there.

3. If you want to edit any layer (line type, color, weight, scale) you have to export the DWT from Onshape, open it in your favorite 2D viewer, make what changes you want to the layers, save the DWT and reupload to Onshape. See our help for more information on this. 

I hope this was helpful. Welcome to our community and if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Jason

Support & QA
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited June 2017
    @brian_edwards Jason is absolutely correct.  Furthermore we do have plans for you to be able to control line widths and colors of entity types in Onshape drawings - for your example... being able to control the color and linewidth/weight of hidden lines, but this would apply drawing wide and not just to detail views.

On your first question, we might have an improvement logged for that sort of thing.

I would recommend trying out our feedback tool in Onshape.  The end result is a ticket where someone like myself can get you onto the correct improvement request, or have further dialog on your specific need.  Of course the forums is a great place as well.  Welcome.