Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Window Layout options

jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
Is there anyway of using different window layouts?

I've just invested in an ultra-wide monitor and it is great, however it would be much better if I could move all the menus, project tree and search box etc to one side giving me the full width and height of a normal monitor for editing.

Is this possible, doesn't sound like a difficult thing to implement?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    A bit like this ...

instead of this ....

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @jrs_spedley A few questions..  Would the ability to customize what toolbars are shown and possible condensing them along with a docking of the featurelist so it hides be enough or it this more a request to have the tools all expanded but on a different screen?  Looking at your screenshots there is not much real estate being takin up but I just want to understand the request.  This is not trivial for a number of technical reasons especially since those elements are not standalone and are contextual.  There have also been requests to have an option to hide the tabs and only use the tab manager.  Many choices but I am more interested in the goal you are after.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ok, if it is not trivial then it isn't worth it. I'd just assumed the 'icons' were positioned according to some CSS type definition and that alternative definitions would be similar to many sites that have different setup for mobile and desktop etc.
    The screen shots were in F11 mode which also removes the window's scroll bars, title bar, browser menu and browser tabs.  This is better (if I didn't keep pressing escape to go back to "select" mode which keeps exiting F11 mode).
    I can't imagine a different screen would be feasable with browser based editing, although a seperate popup tool window could work.
    My goal would be to increase working area and improve flexibilty depending on working needs (e.g. many featurrescript options or expanding all drop down icons or removing icons for keyboard shortcuts) but like I say, if it is not trivial then it isn't worth it.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I think toolbar customization will be one way since grouping could make this more manageable as well as using the S key shortcuts.  Would you like to make this an improvement for toolbar customization?  Nobody has submitted that for voting yet?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    No, leave it as it is.  I'm sure you are very busy and a vote on something which hasn't been brought up by now is highly unlikely to be of any use to anyone.
    I only asked because I wasn't sure if it has already been implemented and I just couldn't find the option.  Perhaps I put this in the wrong forum.
    :)
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    ^^^^^ :) Thank you - perfectly fine to ask and if there was something preventing you from getting your work done, we absolutely want to hear about it.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    On a related note, I just stumbled on the shortcut 'S'.  Very handy!

EDIT: Shift + ? gives a list of shortcuts, very handy (although annoyed there isn't an alternative to Esc - that takes me out of (F11) full screen grrrr)