Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing JPGs to Use as Tracing Templates

rick59rick59 Member Posts: 6
Can't find for the life of me how to insert a JPG superimposed on a sketch to use for tracing.  I can upload a pic, but then it sits there in its own tab and I am unable to do anything with it...has anyone been able to do this?

Comments

• abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @Rick59 Onshape does not yet support sketch pictures, but I will add you to the improvement request.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Steve TrambertSteve Trambert Member Posts: 5
    Hi there Abe, mind if I lend my voice to this request as well?  Pictures can be quite handy for tracing out logos and other aesthetic designs. I use them quite often.

If your team is looking for inspiration, I'm a fan of the "sketch picture" implementation in SolidWorks.  Though with so many Solidworks vets on the OnShape team, I'm sure you're familiar with that feature already.
  • berneberne Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    +1 for sketch pictures... I definitely use them.
  • david_rihadavid_riha Member Posts: 1
    One more vote for the "sketch picture" function.
  • caz_waskowiczcaz_waskowicz Member Posts: 2
    +1 another vote for this. Really helps if all you have is PDFs or images to work from!
  • philip_wunderlephilip_wunderle Member Posts: 4
    Good controls for positioning and sizing would be essential.  But should be done.  If not, lose out.
  • philip_wunderlephilip_wunderle Member Posts: 4
    You should be able to handle jpg or pdf
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    To the original question.
    Start a sketch then insert image and select your jpg.

I recommend starting a new sketch on top of the image to allow for separate control of tracing and image.
    For the other comments. I would also like to see better functionality in manipulating the image.
    Currently the over all size can be changed but not aspect ratio. Any photos I've taken the aspect ratio is off and needs to be adjusted in other app.