Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part Visibility in Assembly drawings, for illustrating assembly steps

mike_evermanmike_everman Member, csevp Posts: 9 PRO
I was hoping to see in the recent update the ability to hide selected parts in drawing views.  Maybe next time.  
The limitation has lead to a work-around that has us making subassemblies for every step in a build-up.
A little tedious, but not too bad.  Now, there's a tab for Step 1, Step 2, etc.  which in a roundabout way may help us go paperless on the shop floor.

I still think that visibility should be a feature, though.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi MIke, head on over to the improvement request category in the right and search to see if somebody has requested this. If not please submit your idea. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just had the same problem, I was just doing a quick drawing for a Patent and wanted to hide certain parts in the assembly. I found I could achieve what I wanted by using the suppress but I think we definitely need the ability to click a part in the view and hide. Another option maybe a display state or a view state in an assembly or part studio which can be selected in the drawing. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited July 2017
    @brucebartlett @mike_everman   - Lets just say that we know we need this.
    In the meantime, here is a Technical Briefing on a workflow that would enable you to generate your drawings.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eGI0eGWnurkIx50Q0H2KgX1anUChvYZJIPfblu2YoEQ/edit?usp=sharing

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Nice work around, but boy is it complicated :)

I was thinking about this the last couple days, if you create an improvement request, link it here and you will have my vote
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited July 2017
    @john_mcclary - as a pro user, please submit a feedback request directly from within Onshape for this and Lou will add your ticket to the story.
    The work is already scheduled :)

ps - Hey! Quit calling me 'complicated'! ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    @john_mcclary - as a pro user, please submit a feedback request directly from within Onshape for this and Lou will add your ticket to the story.
    The work is already scheduled :)

ps - Hey! Quit calling me 'complicated'! ;)
    Well if the work is already scheduled then that's good enough for me :)
    No^^^^ it happens faster/sooner the more people request something (and you get an email when we finish it :)).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited July 2017
    Geez, so complica.... umm I mean you got it boss!  ;)

Excellent :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I jumped on the band wagon and submitted my request as well. Look forward to this in the next sprint now ;)

@philip_thomas I am interested in your method for exploded views too. Do you have an explanation doc for this also? 
    I do, but it's Saturday 5:30am and I am still in bed. 
    You'll just have to wait a bit :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Ok Bruce - I am up - are you happy? :)

Here is my Doc on how to do exploded views - i will probably do a webinar on this sometime in August.
    Of course we are going to build a dedicated exploded inside Onshape, but there are still some big projects ahead of that, so in the meantime, check out some of these techniques . . . 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UfDWBNfjqr4e5Zuau1QFQn2kgK-QnYGwP2pwG2DK6Vk
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Very nice work Philip, I like these explanation docs. I am impressed but you didn't have to get out of bed just to do this for me.

Now I'll test you, have you got an intelligent workaround to link the Balloons to item numbers?
    @brucebartlett - I have nothing for the balloons. That said, we are working on it. Please submit an enhancement request to accelerate this project :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • mike_evermanmike_everman Member, csevp Posts: 9 PRO
    Nice, Philip.  Good workflow.
  • brian_watsonbrian_watson Member Posts: 1
    I'm not a pro user.  Is there a way for me to access the improvement request (regarding part visibility in a drawing view) so that I can add my support?  The searches I'm doing just keep returning me to this thread, or a couple of others.
    @brucebartlett - obviously we now have associative balloons! :)
    Now onto the next thing ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @brian_watson

If you go to the Improvement Requests category of the forum, then click "New Idea" and start typing in the "Idea Title" block, it will do a dynamic search of just the Improvement Requests category.  If what you're looking for isn't already there, you can type out your full Idea and submit it, IRs can be submitted by any customer!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    @brian_watson - yes!
    To vote on an improvement request, go the the improvement-request category.

https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-voting

from there you can search JUST in that category by clicking on the 'magnifying glass'.
    This takes you to the advanced search dialog.

From there, you can search for your improvement to vote on.

If you dont find it - feel free to add one yourself! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I can't find this to vote on, and I can't suppress surfaces in assembly to make them go away in drawing. Does this mean I have to delete them? This is getting really difficult. Maybe it's been solved by now and I can't find the button.

I did create a new idea to add a query to the ir forum so we can find an idea to vote on.

search for "search new ideas for idea"