Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What type of referencing system (Part number) do you use?

emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Data management
I just want to know the different referencing systems that you use with Onshape.

Usually for the definition of reference codes (Part numbers) a combination of the following parameters is used:
  • Group, IdGroup or Category of the component
  • SubGroup, IdSubGroup or SubCategory of the component
  • Material or IdMaterial
  • Time reference: Year, month, day, etc.
  • Finish, IdFinish, Treatment, IdTreatment
  • Manufacturing process, IdManufacturingProcess
  • Color, IdColor
  • Version, release, Idversion
  • Project, IdProject
  • Customer, IdCustomer
  • Special identifiers:Sheet metal part, weldment profile, etc.
  • A correlative number or code
So people use referencing systems such as:
31.2.20170810-0121
IdGroup.IdSubGroup.TodayTimeReference-CorrelativeNumber.

Please, tell me yours ;-)
Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                     Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for part number i use following system:
    ProjectCode-TopLevelAssemblyNumber.FirstLevelSubassemblyNumber.SecondLevelSubassemblyNumber... .PartNumber
    for example MRK120-01.05.012 means that the part is developed during project MRK120 and is firstly used in second level subassembly MRK120-01.05.000, which included into first level subassembly MRK120-01.00.000

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    So, if you have another project, like MRK121 and you use a part or an subassembly of the proyect MRK120 in it, you can get a Bill of materials like:

MRK121-01.00.000
      MRK121-01.01.000
         MRK121-01.01.001
         MRK120-01.05.012
         MRK121-01.01.002
      MRK121-01.02.000
         MRK121-01.02.001
         MRK121-01.02.002
      MRK120-01.05.000
      MRK121-01.03.000
         MRK121-01.03.001
         MRK121-01.03.002

And... What about another level of assemblies? Do you allways use 2 levels, no more and no less?
    Un saludo,

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, if part is reused from another project it keeps original code, so you can know in which project it was developed. if additional subassembly level requared i add one more codification level like MRK120-01.03.01.002
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I only use simple five digit code with identification letter that it is part code (P1001) and use erp to link with product/project. But my products are rather simple.  
    //rami
    @3dcad Is that identification letter a kind of TypeId or CategoryId?

An the number in the rest of the code, is it a correlative number?

Un saludo,

@emagdalenaC2C
    P stands for part (made in-house) so that codes doesn't get mixed up with bought accessories/components codes [Axxxx] or Col codes which begin with C or product code which is only numbers. Four digits are just running number to create identification for database, I'm not sure what means correlative..
    So you could describe the letter as Category or Type ID.
    //rami
    Sorry, English isn't my first language, should be a better word in english for correlative: maybe consecutive
    Thats 0001, 0002, 0003... 
    Un saludo,

Mine neither  :) exactly 1001,1002,1003...9999 + additional digits if needed
    //rami
    Me lo hubieras dicho antes... podíamos estar hablando en Español desde el principio  :D
    Un saludo,

Unless you're from Finland. In that case my bad English is much better than my Finnish
    Un saludo,

=)
    //rami