Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Copy sketch elements within sketch?

DaveDave Member Posts: 1
I'm working on a design that reuses the same geometry in several places on the same sketch. Is there a method I'm missing that lets me re-use the basic geometries (after I kill the constraints locking them down) to different areas of the same sketch? Sort of a copy / paste (free floating), then I can move and snap them into the new locations required?

I see copy/paste for the parts, but it doesn't seem to currently apply in sketches.
Tagged:

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I don't think you can, I have looked for this too. In SW I would select a set of lines and do a shift drag.  

Not sure if a shift drag would work in a browser or on mobile but a rmb click with a copy and paste option would be nice. (If an other method is not already available)
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    No sketch pattern either this would be another solution or a sketch translate that lets you drop your selected lines at points. It would be great if you could choose to take the references from the selection relative to each other. Just Idea's for a neat solution to this problem.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Andrew_GilliesAndrew_Gillies Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Also bump to this. Trying to do the exact same thing. I imagine lots of folks would have repeating elements within a sketch. Any response yet?
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Both copy and pattern of sketches has a lot of attention and will be coming as soon as we can get them in.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sketch patterns (both circular and linear) were arguably the worst-implemented and arcane sketch commands in SolidWorks, I reckon. Shouldn't be hard to improve on!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for copy and pattern in sketch.
    //rami
  • nada_nixnada_nix Member Posts: 19
    Rotate, scale, and move of pasted (and existing) selections would also be very useful. I understand it might be difficult to deal with existing constraints for all of these. Hope you can find a solution!
  • susan_3susan_3 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    +1 for this
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was always, or at least back to the end of the last millennium, an undocumented shortcut in Sldwks for moving a bunch of sketch geometry: to initiate, you selected the geometry, then Control-dragged it.

This initiated a shortcut for copying that geometry. The trick was to release the Control button before releasing the mouse button. This meant that instead of copying it, you just moved it. (Obviously it had to be unconstrained in the latter case, unless you had the appropriate options selected)

I think it was actually a nice, simple and elegant shortcut and it would be nice to see it in OnS; I can't understand why it remained undocumented in Sldwks.
  • CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
    +1 on this. Even something simple like a duplicate command for whatever is currently selected, would be a great start. Could be a context menu option.
  • chris_wrenchris_wren Member Posts: 2
    ping. did this get resolved/ Is there a different process I should be using?
  • chris_wrenchris_wren Member Posts: 2
    found it: copy/paste/transform sketch entities in the right-click menu.
    I didn't see it because it isn't there if you select an area rather than a line.