Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Insert helix into assembly?

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

I'm sure we used to be able to put curves into assemblies, but when I try insert my helix I can't even find it to add.  Am I going senile or was this possible and now it isn't any more? 

I tried converting the helix to a composite curve just in case it was the wrong type of curve but that didn't show up either.

Thanks Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Best Answers

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Owen - it doesnt look like this is currently supported.
    Step 1 - submit enhancement request
    Step 2- let us know why you need this (posting here is fine).
    I do not know yet how big this project is so i cannot give you any feedback yet.
    Good morning Sensei!

Intent was a "quick and dirty" way to represent a spring in an assembly for a jig.  I'd not modeled anything fancy as wanted the end user to buy into the concept before getting in too deep on the design. 

A helix shown in the assy would have met that need. Only a few more clicks to make it solid but I was convinced that I'd seen curves in assemblies before.  If that's not the case then no problem. 

TBH I'd rather not raise an IR for this and instead have the "thicken curve into solid" idea implemented instead.  That would have been better in this case.

Cheers 'n' all,

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
    Thinking back it may be that I saw curves in the derive tool not an assembly.  :smacksforheadsmiley:

We defiantly need an IR for a :smacksforheadsmiley:

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
    i have already made an IR for this, it is useful for driving assemblies with complex kinematics. but on par with this some kind of point-on-curve constraint type requared, optionally - aligning to Fresnes basis.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6659/ability-to-insert-curves-in-assembly
    Thanks for raising it.  You have a vote Sir. :)

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    voted up curves in assy & hopefully drawings