Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rotate an object

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
I believe I have seen this asked before on the forums, but none of the answers seemed like they were quite on the mark.

I have a part I would like to rotate about its center point on the Z axis. In almost every 3D software I have used this is one of the most basic features - you click the object, you get some manipulators, you rotate by dragging (with or without constraint keys pressed).

Why can I not seem to find this most elementary functionality in OnShape?

The part in question is a sweep made by 2 Sketches - the profile sketch is a circle; the sweep path is a pentagon. It was created such that if you look at it from the Top view, you see the pentagonal shape. I just want to "spin" the pentagon a bit so one side aligns with the grid so I can more easily add some other pieces to it.

I have tried selecting the shape and choosing the Translate tool, which seems the closest to my needs, but there is only 1 rotate function and it is asking me to select some other "thing" to be the axis of rotation. I don't really get it, but at any rate, I can't select the pentagon's center point, and there are no manipulators.

Obviously for something so basic to be missing I've got the wrong mental model of how you're supposed to work with this tool based on 15+ years using SoftImage, Maya, 3DS Max etc. (but no CAD/CAM software).

What am I missing?

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @tom_auger ,

As of right now there isn't a free-form type rotation for the part studio (It seems like the type of transformation you want is the kind we do an assemblies).  The transform tool actually has two options that may help you: you can rotate the part along any axis (an axis can be any linear edge, such as an edge on a 3d part or a sketch edge), so you should be able to set up a sketch through your part to act as the axis of your rotation.  A slightly more free-form way of doing the is "Transform by mate connectors": you could place a mate connector wherever you want on your part, and place another one where you want that mate connector to land.

Is there any way you could just go back and sketch your circle and pentagon in the way that you want them to be oriented? This seems like a better solution to your problem as our sketch constraint system is strong for these alignment-type problems.

If you post a public link to your document with details on how you want your part aligned, I (and likely others) will be happy to provide a few solution options.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, Jake. As I work through the tutorials, my mind is slowly bending to the CAD/ OnShape way of thinking, and I'll probably approach the same problem in a few days' time and the issue will, well, become a non-issue. As an old-skool 3D modeler, I'm thinking in terms of "objects" in space, rather than "drawings" that become "parts" in "assemblies", so I still have a paradigm shift to push through.

I appreciate the additional suggestions, which I will all try in the hopes of learning more techniques in this vast and impressive tool you and your team have built!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi both.

I too really like the transform to mate connector to move widgets where you want them.  A simple rotate would often need to be followed by a slide in xyz  to get the desired result. 

Rotate by center of  bounding box or center of mass are a bit of a  moving target should parts be edited further up the feature tree so could give unexpected rebuilds.

That said I think it's a little odd to have manipulator triads in sketches and assemblies but not partstudios.  They'd certainly be of use in some circumstances.

Cheers, Owen S,
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd