Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

onshape for dummies ???????

matthew_gwinnermatthew_gwinner Member Posts: 1
I have tried this 4 times and can never find the solution to simple problems. i drew a simple handle, two circles, an arch, and an offset. Don't know what to call the handle part since it will not close or attach to the drawn circles. must not be a face, doesn't seem to be a part, who knows what to call it to get it to combine with the other parts, all the tutorials start with a complete built part not simple make things. feel free to look at the file if you wish, I am done with this I can hand draw and hand make the parts i need faster than this cad/cam.

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @matthew_gwinner ,

If you post the URL of your document here, we'll all be happy to look at it and see what kind of trouble you're having :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    This video shows the process of sketching from scratch:
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/dimensions-and-constraints

Notice that when you create an enclosed section in a sketch, it will become a dark grey.  This is a 'sketch face' and can be selected for extrusions, lofts, sweeps, etc.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @matthew_gwinner.

I started in a similar position, making jigs for my company by hand on a manual mill, or by casting negatives from real products etc.

After a while picking up the basics in Onshape all that's changed.  I now 3d print most jigs and use a bit of CNC for other jobs. 

Stick with it, there are many example videos, the help files are pretty good and there are frequent free webinars that are certainly worth investing an hour or so in.  ("Sketch basics" and "an introduction to onshape" being the first I'd recommend.)

You'll soon find what looked frustrating will turn into "I'll just knock one of those up in the 15 minutes before I go home."

Plenty of help available from people on the forum too, just please share a link to what you're having bother with.

Good luck.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd