Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Difficulty with Sweeping

gabriel_stein118gabriel_stein118 Member Posts: 6 EDU

Hi,

I'm not so much looking for help, as a problem I'm really stuck on. I want to sweep a platform along the path of a helix from the bottom of the axis (at a big radius) to the top of the axis (at a small radius), but I can't manage to figure out how to do that. I've only managed to sweep along the helix at a constant radius. Do you have any ideas how I could get over this problem? Thanks for your help!

Gabe

Comments

• Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    The model pictured isn't what you want?  

If you use the revolve command to create a conical surface with the desired top and bottom dimensions then apply a helix to that surface, you should have the sweep path that you need.  I'm not entirely sure how you'd fill in the gap between the swept platform and the rod in the middle though.  
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gabriel_stein118, I'm a bit confused as well by what you want. The picture you have seems to already implement what @daniel_splawski suggested. When you say "radius", do you mean "pitch"? You already have a variable radius, but it's at a constant pitch. If you want to generate a helix with variable pitch, check out the link below. It shows how to use my Parametric Curve FS to create such a curve.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/052b9b1376888b5d8b16e4f1