Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

copy parts

bruce_resnicoffbruce_resnicoff Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
How do I copy a part (or assembly) to a new document so that I can make changes without affecting the original? It's not clear in the help or tutorials sections how to do this.

Answers

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi Bruce,

I believe what you are searching for is called branching, you can see the docs on it here. However, if you are set on moving it to a new document, you can always right click the element, select `Copy to clipboard`, open your new document, hit the plus in the bottom left corner, and select `Paste tab`.

Best,

Mike
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Also have a read about the "Derive" feature.  This pull a copy of a part from one document into another one.

Note this will not copy the feature list used to create the part, just the part itself.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    I want to copy a part from Part Studio 1 to a new Part Studio 2.  I found this answer.  But when I selected the part and did a right-click, I saw the following image.  There is no "copy to clipboard" option visible

I want to put this part into another Part Studio.  There are only two parts salvageable from design 1 and they are sufficiently complex I don't want to have to redraw them.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited January 2022
    @joseph_newcomer While in the new part studio, use the Derived feature if you would like the new part to be derived from the original part studio or document. This will let you update the part if you ever make changes in the original document. If you are never going to make a change to the part you want to copy, you can export it from the original document, then import it to the new document. I do not recommend this technique because it will break the link with your original document. Also note, it is not good to create long chains of derived parts, this will slow document performance.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • peter_cuthbertpeter_cuthbert Member Posts: 45
    Yes, I too have wanted to copy a part to a new document.  However, it looks as if Derive is not available in the Free Version of OS.

A more important question for me, which no doubt has a very simple answer, is how do I move a part about in the drawing separately from the other parts?  This comes about because I drew a part in the wrong plane, then realised it was back to front so needed a Mirror Copy and so on.  The part is now in a very silly place not where it should be.

Regards

Pete
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Hello Peter.  You can open the sketch for editing and change the sketch plane selection. Does that work for you? - Scotty 
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    ...snip....  However, it looks as if Derive is not available in the Free Version of OS.
    ...snip...
    FYI, Derive is absolutely in the free version.
  • michal_ivan045michal_ivan045 Member Posts: 2
    @joseph_newcomer While in the new part studio, use the Derived feature if you would like the new part to be derived from the original part studio or document. This will let you update the part if you ever make changes in the original document. If you are never going to make a change to the part you want to copy, you can export it from the original document, then import it to the new document. I do not recommend this technique because it will break the link with your original document. Also note, it is not good to create long chains of derived parts, this will slow document performance.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you @MichaelPascoe !
  • peter_cuthbertpeter_cuthbert Member Posts: 45
    Hi Scotty, Nick and Michal,

Many thanks for your comments.  All your suggestions have worked and I eventually found Derive and have now used it.  Just need to get the Sheet Metal Table button to work for the derived Part Studio part.

Regards

Pete