Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing a SW Assembly

kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
I created a pack&go file from my SW model and uploaded it to OS.  OS then says tab cannot be translated.  Wondering what I did wrong.  I can attach a file, but as it's 1.1M I'll hold off for now in case it's just something simple I neglected.

Comments

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Is it SOLIDWORKS 2015 data? I'm having issues myself with SW2015 uploads.

Dries
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I can not get 2014 to work with this same work flow

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Importing the Pack and Go format requires the top level of the zip to contain a .sldasm file with the same name as the zip file itself. ex. OnshapeTest.zip should have an OnshapeTest.sldasm file at the top level. 

We are looking into reports of translation errors with SolidWorks 2015 SP2 files, so stick with 2015 SP1 and earlier for now.

If you are accustomed to creating your Pack and Go zips with a different structure, please let us know through the Feedback mechanism and we can improve the feature.

If you open a support case with the specific P&G that you are having problems with, we will be happy to take a look. 
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    edited March 2015
    works in sw2012  - if anyone still using something so old  :)

Jon
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Maybe my 2014 file does not work because it had drawings included, I try again later.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
    Mine is 2014 student version.  I didn't realize I had to put the p&g file into a further zipfile.  After doing so I uploaded the zipfile and invoked the translate.  OS said translate succeeded, but the tab for the import just shows the 3 axis planes.  I also specified for the parts to be separated into parts studios, and that also didn't happen.  attaching my zipfile.

FWIW, a single SW part translates fine in 2014 version.  
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    The above zip file only has a .SLDASM file in it, no .SLDPRT parts. The default action in SW will be to create a P&G with everything you need in it.

You do not need to put the P&G into an additional zip file. P&G _is_ a zip file.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Kirk 
      Can you try upgrading to latest solidworks sp2 ? This might be a software defect in solidworks itself

From http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/CustomerBulletins.html

Mar 16, 2015
    Urgent ALERT: Important SOLIDWORKS 2015 update now available. 

SOLIDWORKS 2015 SP2.1 products fix SPR 862458 (Save operation may not save complete files, which may result in file corruption.).   This problem is specific to SOLIDWORKS 2015 products.

The random problem may occur when saving in SOLIDWORKS CAD or when saving a file in an application that uses the SOLIDWORKS Document Manager such as, but not limited to, SOLIDWORKS Enterprise PDM, SOLIDWORKS Workgroup PDM, and SOLIDWORKS Pack and Go.

Customers currently using any 2015 Service Pack older than SP2.1 should upgrade to SP2.1.

I have the 2014 Student version which I obtain free as a US veteran.  Since it's  not 2015 version I don't think I want to try to apply a 2015 SP.  And as far as I know I cannot upgrade to 2015 online under this program.  I must reapply each year and be mailed a new install CD.

It's not critical to me to resolve this problem, but as a beta tester I thought I should point it out.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirk

When you create a "Pack and Go" in Sldwks 2014, there is an option "Save to zip file".
    Check this circle to have the application load all the files into a single zip file.

Make sure you don't change the default name of the resulting zip file, which will match the  top level assembly from which you should be creating your "Pack and Go" file.

There should be no need for you to upgrade to 2015.
    Andrew, that did work.

The assembly rendered very well, and the individual parts were all in place, but I couldn't do any work with them as far as I know.  I guess the mate and subassembly relationships are not translated.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Kirk Correct.  Mates are not brought over but typically what I do after import is select all of the parts and group mate them...that is of course unless you want to make a dynamic assembly.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    I did notice that there were 4 extrusions on one part in the assembly that were translated as 4 separate OS parts and given names Part1 ... Part4.  Seems like a bug.  I uploaded and translated the individual SW part file, and the 4 extrusions were likewise split into 4 separate parts.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Kirk In SW the bodies are just that bodies so they are unique.  In Onshape we see bodies as parts in the Part Studio so despite being similar in geometry they are unique parts.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited April 2015
    Sometimes it's the little things - +1 to @John Rousseau for pointing out that the name of the zip file must mirror the name of the top level assembly. Without it, how would Onshape know where to start? I am guilty of changing the name and then scratching my head when the translation didn't happen. Change the name to match and it works perfectly! :smiley: 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • JJJJ Member Posts: 5
    I am still having issues with this from Solidworks 2014. I do a pack and go to zip and the zip has the same name as the assembly. When I upload I get file translation error every time. Mind you it is a fairly complex assembly we did for the movie Interstellar but not too crazy.
  • JJJJ Member Posts: 5
    Has less issues just importing in a parasolid file. That came in fine.