Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How would you make this, EFFICIENTLY?

KrysKrys Member Posts: 9
So over the weekend I decided to design a beer case that I have been wanting to build for a while. Normally I would just make something like this in VCarve which is really 2.5D. I would just make the parts all individually and use my brain to translate that to a final project. It usually works out for me, however sometimes it doesnt line up right or after I make some cuts I realize it needs to be modified a bit. 

So now that Onshape is available I'm trying to do the same thing in 3D. For the most part I got the box done just quick and dirty, no fancy joints or anything. The problem is it was very tedious and time consuming. This would have taken me 15 minutes in VCarve, but took me prob 2 hours in Onshape.

So I think it would be great to get some feedback from some of you more experienced modelers to see how fast you could make the same model and maybe share your steps to help me see my faulty ways!

I think what really slowed me down was the lack of a patterning tool for the holes, but I also couldn't find a good way to make the lap joints other than just offsets and lines with some trimming. Also the grid that I used to align my holes got in the way a lot since every extrusion was divided by the lines initially.

I would also appreciate tips on making the whole thing dynamic that way I can change the size of the box and the holes would space themselves out, or make the holes larger and everything else resizes etc. Some of these things i could do with inventor, but maybe they just aren't possible with Onshape yet. 

Anyway, hope this interests someone, and if I'm really lucky someone will make a video so I can follow the process easier.. here is my file.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/564ce2927efb44a8b9f04eab/w/4f52a8cac47c4dd5a9f9ee57/e/947e713196394d8dbfc0a790

Answers

• KrysKrys Member Posts: 9
    Ok, well I just realized there was a pattern tool on the modeling menu, I was only looking in the sketch menu... so that would have been nice!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2015
    With a quick look, I would use mirror for creating side panels and create all in same part studio. Pattern for holes and use same sketch for bottom plate. Sounds too easy, I'm sure I missed something.

For the parametric changes, there might be some workarounds but I hope we will have 'Equation editor' with ability to link dimensions to each other coming in next updates.. 
    //rami
  • mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    From looking at it. This shouldn't take long at all to model so just keep practicing. Mirror tool is a good idea.i haven't played enough with onshape to know what's missing so I won't suggest anything for dynamics for now
    John McConnell - Let's change things.
    Saplingstore.com
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Boolean subtract might be an easy option for modelling the rebates (what you refer to as lap joints). In other words, model the solids so they overlap, then just subtract the endplates from the sideplates

Another approach would be to take advantage of the ability to select regions, from a master sketch where you use simple overlapping rectangles (no need to trim away the superfluous lines). See the video tutorials on sketching to see how this works.