Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting to SVG

josh_jannuschjosh_jannusch Member Posts: 2
Is there a way to best export a drawing to a SVG file.  It is easiest to use the CNC machine with this type of file and want to know the best way to do this.  I am struggling on finding a file converter to do this.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    There should be several utilities available online - try a search for "dxf to svg".  This one popped up for me:

https://convertio.co/dxf-svg/

You'd need to export your drawing as a DXF first, of course.
  • Options
    stephen_danielstephen_daniel Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the link.  I've tried several others with no luck -- most DXF to SVG conversions convert the DXF to a raster file, then just plop the image in the SVG.  That works visually, but it doesn't work for things like laser cutters that are looking for vector input.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Try DXF to Inkscape and save out to SVG.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link.  I've tried several others with no luck -- most DXF to SVG conversions convert the DXF to a raster file, then just plop the image in the SVG.  That works visually, but it doesn't work for things like laser cutters that are looking for vector input.
    Are you using a Glowforge?  Maybe someone on their forum knows a good utility.  Also it wouldn't hurt to post the request for direct DXF support in their Problems and Support section
  • Options
    bri_huangbri_huang Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I've been trying to come up with a similar toolchain to use Onshape with our Glowforge Laser cutter in our classroom. Each of the converters that I've tried appear to scale the SVG or not put in the proper units in the file. The best workaround I have so far is to create a custom drawing template that is 20" x 11" with no border and no title block. Lay out the parts as you would like to see them cut out on the laser. 

Export this as a PDF. The PDF can be used with Inkscape or Gravit.io designer or directly on the Glowforge. 

• Options
    jacob_henryjacob_henry Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to see SVG supported as a direct export option along with DXF as well. The need to go through a conversion program can draw out and complicate the workflow of getting things laser cut. Especially since there is no option to export all flat pattern sheet metal as a zip of collective dxf files, but thats a whole other feature request in itself. Please add me to the feature request ticket for SVG output. Its such a common output for laser cutting I can't see why it shouldn't be supported.
  • Options
    david_liao940david_liao940 Member Posts: 1
    Try DXF to Inkscape and save out to SVG.
    同意brucebartlett的建議,用Inkscape開啟DXF檔案!
    但有個注意的地方Inkscape直接開啟時,縮放方式要選Manual Scale
    還有字元編碼要選Latin 1,不要選UTF 8
    這樣開檔案才能順利打開

最後另存新檔,存成SVG檔就可以了

(我試過其他不同的方法,或者網路轉檔dxf -> svg,都有尺寸變形的問題!)
  • Options
    ChmasyChmasy Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Export it out of onshape as an STL, then import it into tinkercad.com, then export it out as a SVG 
  • Options
    gareth_farringtongareth_farrington Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I have a Glowforge and I did a quick look into the feasibility of doing this in feature script. It seems doable to build the SVG data but there is no Feature Script support for displaying it so you could download it. i.e. if you get the SVG into a string you cant render that to an HTML element or anything like that.

I did the "Glowforge Colorific" Fusion 360 post (https://github.com/garethky/glowforge-colorific-fusion360-post). Maybe now that CAM is coming to OnShape we can do something similar in that cam system. Lets hope that the CAM system isn't a Pro only feature.