Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reference Aspects of Part Studios

ben_freyben_frey Member Posts: 8
Hello,

I ran into an issue of referencing a certain part from a studio and want to be able to use geometry of this part in another studio. I simply want to apply a "cut" from my part in Part Studio x (bottom picture), to an object in Part Studio y (top picture). I've attached some screenshots.

I would typically try to just combine into one part studio, but that would take a lot of time moving sketches over and redesigning part. Is their any way to do this quickly, or should I combine into one part studio?

Please let me know if this is not clear enough, thanks!
Ben

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi @ben_frey - looks like an interesting part! Please take a look at the Derive feature - you can make a link to model & sketch geometry between multiple Part Studios. If they are not in the same position you will have to use Transform (with mate connectors).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ben_freyben_frey Member Posts: 8
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @ben_frey - looks like an interesting part! Please take a look at the Derive feature - you can make a link to model & sketch geometry between multiple Part Studios. If they are not in the same position you will have to use Transform (with mate connectors).
    Thank you, Neil. I have no idea how many hours you've probably saved me from searching through documentation and experimentation!

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @ben_frey
    If your parts are goint to be assembled together, you may also be interested in in-context editing:
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/design-in-context
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team