Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing linking from a Part or Assembly. RMB on part/assy and see linked drawings

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
You can RMB on drawing view and switch to the Part Studio of the related part but cannot do this the other way. It would be nice to be able to go to the drawing by RMB click on a part in a Studio or assembly a quickly seeing its related to a drawings or drawings if they exist and switch to it from here. 
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @brucebartlett There are needs to simply see where something is used and related to us eventually having some system wide reference manager.  Today we do this only from a drawing or assembly instance since there is only one reference.  Same issue comes up with wanting to select a part in a studio and switch to the assembly it is in.. it could be in many...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Got It, Thank's Lou, I look forward to this platform improvement down the track and can see many use case, ie switch to Drawings, Assemblies, BOM's, etc with two clicks and can also see this coming into play to build "top-down product structure" and "bottom-up where used" searches from the home screen or in doc tab manager.  
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @lougallo @brucebartlett
    "...There are needs to simply see where something is used and related to us eventually having some system wide reference manager. " (from above). Lou, is this system-wide reference manager in the works? Is this something that you have improvement requests for already? I'd really like to see this!

right-click on an Onshape document (in the document list / manager) and see all the upstream (and downstream) references. Something visually similar to the Versions & History view could work. Maybe in the Document View, you only see top-level documents (but could drill down to assemblies and part studios as necessary). This could also work inside Onshape documents (with parts, assemblies, drawings, etc). 

Thanks!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO

right-click on an Onshape document (in the document list / manager) and see all the upstream (and downstream) references. Something visually similar to the Versions & History view could work. Maybe in the Document View, you only see top-level documents (but could drill down to assemblies and part studios as necessary). This could also work inside Onshape documents (with parts, assemblies, drawings, etc). 

Thanks!
    This is what I am looking for too, being able to view the structure of the product, but I am thinking this may even be independent of the documents and purely based on the top level assembly, however, I can see this will need a lot of planning and work! I not aware of any improvement request but as a pro, you should raise this with your feedback tool.

With my OP I was really just raising my frustration of finding whether a drawing has been completed/started for a part or an assembly and navigating to it with ease. My natural instinct tells me I should be able to RMB on a part and select a drawing to go to.