Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how to not let a part go through others?

i want to use a slider mate, but the example i make slides through the edges, the mate works properly but it goes on through the shell and out of my object

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited December 2017
    Hello Bart!
    Onshape mates define the degrees of freedom that exist between two Mate Connectors.
    A degree of freedom is infinite - in the case of your slider mate, it can just keep going (including into another part).
    To stop one part going into another, add 'limits' to your mates. These limits are numerical bounds - eg your part can only move between these dimensions.

As a tip - this is one of the few dialogs that will accept negative values ;)

I hope this helps :smile:
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    grochinogrochino Moderator, Onshape Employees, User Group Leader Posts: 44
    There is also an Improvement Request here on the forums for an assembly interference/collision detection:
    Assembly Interference Detection
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/23591#Comment_23591
    Feel free to add your thoughts to the comments.
  • Options
    bart_van_busselbart_van_bussel Member Posts: 3
    thank you both very much for the answers! i managed to do it!