Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

useful chrome extension ideas?

mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
Being browser based, it intrigues me to know what kind of browser plugins might enhance our use within onshape. Perhaps a personal notebook for each document tied to the document name specifically, with customizable tool lists, materials and general thoughts. Lets get this discussion going I'm eager to see what other ideas we can come up with for extensions.
John McConnell - Let's change things.
Saplingstore.com

Comments

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited April 2015
    I've done a few plugin type things and I'm curious as to what sort of extensions people want badly enough to fork out cash for.
  • mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I've never made any plugins but I know web design enough to know how to make something if it where a good enough idea to pursue.
    Saplingstore.com
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I have written a number of Chrome extensions and it is feasible to create a note taking tool that would talk to our api to get your current documents and create a note linked to the docid.  Once our API is more documented and public, I am sure people will get creative.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    LouGallo said:
    I have written a number of Chrome extensions and it is feasible to create a note taking tool that would talk to our api to get your current documents and create a note linked to the docid.  Once our API is more documented and public, I am sure people will get creative.
    can't wait for the public api :)
    Saplingstore.com
  • russ_bantinruss_bantin Member Posts: 2
    I am the media guy at our church. Our extended desktop is the projector screen at the front of our church. Whenever I have a youtube video to play, I have to drag the browser onto the extended screen and then expand to full screen and then play it. This is very distracting. If I could have a button like chromecast that I could push at the top of the browser that would throw a fullscreen playing video on the extended display, that would be awesome.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited September 2015
    John, Russ learn javascript and some backend system like php or ruby. It doesn't take much to get things up and running.

Russ-you could write a simple javascript app that tumbles through a list of videos. Your desktop projector would be stuck on a browser page. To add videos, you just upload to the server. To administer the video's you could log into your site as an administrator. All this is fairly easy to do.

I guess my point, I don't see chrome extensions as a means. Front end / back end sprinkled with a little ajax. I think that's the ticket.

• russ_bantinruss_bantin Member Posts: 2
    I am not a programmer. I merely stumbled upon this. The only thing we use chrome for in our service is for the occasional video. Most of the time I do not have time to prepare for the requested clip. Otherwise I would download it and put it into the current PowerPoint.