Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dulcimer Head Stock

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Hi,
  I'm missing some fundamentals.  Here is what I want:

It is a head stock to a dulcimer angled at 10 degrees with 2 holes for dowels.  This was drawn in Sketchup.  
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9d5d117d187211d7a1bfa76c/w/c6dee3bd3333b0bd74dfc304/e/e76957e330dc9d481ebe0c95  That is the URL to my Onshape document.  The public document is called, Mountain Dulcimer (Dean Kimball)  I can't seem to find a way to do it.

I like the idea of drafting in the cloud and being able to do work from anywhere. I'm coming from Sketchup, not Solidworks or AutoCad, so the learning curve has been steep and long.  

In Sketchup picking up inferences is easy.  There is no requirement to pick a plane.  Sometimes when I pick a part plane the features of the part won't highlight.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

Comments

• steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I was able to create the head stock by using a combination of "Use", "Point" and "Plane" and "Extrusion-New".
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited December 2017
    Hi.

Nice job.

However you've made that waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be.  (No need for planes or anything like that.)

Here is a version of your doc that will get you there in 2 features. 

You'll see I've suppressed a long list of features and then:-

(1) Sketched on the side of existing blue part.
    (2) Extruded the head stock up to face of existing part.

Done.

Link to this method here

Hope that helps,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd