Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Inherit a sketch plane from another sketch and use its geometry

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
I would like to make several sketches based on a master sketch. I thought I have seen in a video that I could select a sketch (without opening it), create a new sketch and then the plane of the sketch is taken. But that does not seem to work.
I tried manually and put several sketches in top of each other. To my surprise I could not Use geometry from the master at the 'bottom' the 'sketch stack'. and the drawing tools did not even snap to points. Can you Use only from the last sketch?
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    Hi @baumar if all sketches are visible, you should use “select other” on right mouse menu to pick the ones below (or hide the other sketches).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
    Hi Neil,
    That's exactly what I tried to do.
    I activated all sketches, so they were visible and I did use select other, but I could not catch them. If it will be reoccuring I will share the design with you.