Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Multi-body step file export

wesley_astinwesley_astin Member Posts: 7
I'm pretty new to Onshape (solidworks user for 12 yrs).  I'm evaluating the software and looking for potential hang ups.  one thing i noticed is when i create a multi-body PART (not assembly) in ohshape, export as STEP, and open in solidworks; it comes in as an assembly and not a part.  Is there any way to export the step so that it opens as an .sldprt file with multiple bodies instead of an assembly that would need to be remated or fixed parts?  

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like an issue with SW, not OS. SW has an option to import multi-bodies as separate parts. Make sure that option is disabled.

• wesley_astinwesley_astin Member Posts: 7
    that box is unchecked.  i made a quick part in Onshape, exported it as STEP, and when it opens in SW, it is an assembly with two parts.  see link below onshape part:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6eeee87165cd149c62c8c260/w/2b3593041ff6b2546d73aa23/e/402a47688d166310a2191721

Hmm. Odd. When I need to export to SW I use Parasolid. This hasn't been an issue with that file type - probably because both SW and OS use the Parasolid kernel.  
  • Mark_MatthewsMark_Matthews Member Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
    Would definitely use parasolid for going between the two.

Also, you can always save your SW assembly as a part, which will end up a multibody part.
  • wesley_astinwesley_astin Member Posts: 7
    using parasolid is not an option.  we have to use STEP due to current customer preference.  I believe for now we have settled on the customer can save the imported model as a sldprt instead of an sldasm if they would like.  Thanks.  
    edited January 2018
    The customer might be convinced otherwise if they were informed that parasolid will always be the best choice when working in SolidWorks. Some companies just stick to what they're comfortable with, but it's not necessarily what works best. I bet there are still plenty of companies that prefer to use IGES just because that's what they're accustomed to using.