Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude remove query

kiarian_coohillkiarian_coohill Member Posts: 16 EDU
Fundamentals 3: Part Design Using Part Studios. 04 Exercise: Wheel Rim
I've been stuck on this for the past day. No matter what I do, I cannot get the extrude correctly as per the example. I'm also having to suppress extrudes to select the extrudes mentioned on the example, as when I try to select the face of the main sketch, the extrudes seem to have a priority over the sketch and it won't allow me to select them..

I need to know how I can select faces on the main sketch with the extrudes showing, and also how to complete this extrude remove command (see pic)

Lastly, why is there no 'maximise window' option for the tutorial window? You can maximise the intro video, why not the exercise tiles? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    edited January 2018
    You can right click in open space and use "Select Other" to select different entities. The button above tab does this also.

The main difference I see between your dialog box and the example dialog box is to select the "Face of Main Sketch" and not the whole sketch. Also, make sure that the the "Up To Faces" are selecting each side and not the same side, but I think its already that way.

You can always hover the mouse over the red text of the feature name and it can give you a tooltip to understand why it failed. i.e. hover the mouse over "Extrude 5" at the top of the dialog box.
  • kiarian_coohillkiarian_coohill Member Posts: 16 EDU
    Thanks. I'll try that and see if it works.
    Still no joy. Thanks for the tip with the 'select other' though. Very useful. I'm going to have to move on with this. I started from scratch and still cannot replicate this. See pic, the preview should be the same as the tutorial file. Mine is still showing the model as is, with no remove extrude.

A video tutorial with the more in-depth features of Onshape would be much better when they complexity ramps up. A still screen, not even showing the tool bar to the left is too little information. Oh well.

edited January 2018
    Edit: Finally. My error, on Step 5 - Extrude 1. I did an 'Add Extrude' as opposed to a 'New Extrude'. Now my model is looking good. 

Edit: Scrub that. Back to square one. I have now re-done the entire model, can someone explain to me why the 'Face of Main Sketch' is not remove extruding to the 'Face of Extrude 1' with an offset of 20mm?!? See pic attached.

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Edit: Finally. My error, on Step 5 - Extrude 1. I did an 'Add Extrude' as opposed to a 'New Extrude'. Now my model is looking good. 

Edit: Scrub that. Back to square one. I have now re-done the entire model, can someone explain to me why the 'Face of Main Sketch' is not remove extruding to the 'Face of Extrude 1' with an offset of 20mm?!? See pic attached.

It isn't doing it because you haven't set the face to Extrude up to on the other side.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    OK. Face set to extrude up on both sides now. Still the same problem. Does not show any 'Remove Extrude'.

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Almost there! Just set your merge scope.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @kiarian_coohill

If you hover your mouse over the red 'Extrude 5' at the top of the feature dialog (or over the red 'Extrude 5' in the feature list), you will see an error message detailing the reason why your feature is failing.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • lisa_preble508lisa_preble508 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    I'm having same problem. It says the offset is too  large but I'm using exactly what's in the example. It looks like I'm able to select "face of main sketch" but the selection on my work looks different from the completed example. In the completed example the selection appears to be an edge, specifically "Edge of main sketch", not "face of main sketch".  When I go back to my work and create a selection using edges, I can create a selection similar to the completed wheel. However, I'm not able to use Remove in the Extrusion tool when I'm using an edge selection.  There appears to be a program bug or something changed when the tutorial was first created. I'm feeling frustrated over this.
  • lisa_preble508lisa_preble508 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    I got it! I clicked on "Main Sketch" from the Features list under Default Geometry.  It doesn't work with "face of main sketch" selected.