Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Lines from sketch 4 are restrained by un-restrained lines in sketch 2.. Can I keep it this way?

MetroMetro Member Posts: 17 ✭✭

I have several sketches all on the same plane. These sketches are basically on top of each other. In sketch 4 I have lines that are coincident to lines in the 2nd and 3rd sketches. The lines in sketch 4 are in the correct location, shape, length...etc , they are black and have been restrained by the features in sketches 2&3.  However, the features (lines) in sketch 2 are not totally defined and can still be moved. Do I need to dimension/restrain the lines in sketch2?  Currently, the sketches free of a lot of dimensioning and I'd prefer to keep it that way if possible.

Thank you for any help.

-Metro

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @Metro ,

One of the guarantees of our system is that your geometry will never change without you explicitly interacting with it, so if you leave your geometry unconstrained, it's not going to surprise you by randomly moving around or changing when we have an update.  That being said, it is safer to constrain your geometry than to leave it unconstrained, just in case you accidentally move something that you didn't mean to and it has unintended side effects.

The 'fix' tool may be your friend here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-fix.htm

You can fix the entities in your free-form sketch so that they don't move, and so that your sketch turns black, and then if you want to make changes to an entity, you can un-fix it, move it, and re-fix it.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    MetroMetro Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Thanks, Jake. That's exactly what I was hoping for.
    -Cheers!