Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

constring splines

daniel_wesemandaniel_weseman Member Posts: 17 PRO
Anyone have any thoughts on constraints for  splines in sketches . I have a airfoil that is made of aa spline , mirrored about the centerline , and closed across the back,so it looks like a elongated  D .  

Comments

• Options
    Mark_MatthewsMark_Matthews Member Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
    I used a construction line whose endpoints I made coincident to the spline's tangent control end, and the spline endpoint. I could then dimension the line to control that handle. It would be great if these handles were dimension-able to begin with. 
  • Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    I just make sure to place several points within the spline and dimension right to the spline points. If I have to really fine tune it, then I'll create construction geometry and constrain with a line frame
  • Options
    Until OnShape gets higher order splines enabled, I would avoid adding points to splines as they can get nasty and hard to control. In SW they have "Style Splines" which are Bezier where you add control vectors and not points; very smooth and easy to constrain.
  • Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Check the featurescripts page. There are several different spline featurescripts available.

https://www.onshape.com/featurescript
  • Options
    I've only found one feature script when using "spline" for a search parameter, and that one is already taken care of in the OnShape feature set.