Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal bug?

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
Hi. Trying to make a simple sheet metal and it is ripping/cutting the sheet metal along lines never specified. 

Step one: Made a sketch
Step two: Created surface from sketch (offset surface) 

Note: I have selected said sketch using the feature tree and not by clicking on a sketch face. 

-Noticed that said surface has undesired lines already splitting the surface 
Step three: Created sheet metal, and sheet metal is ripped/cut along said lines

Answers

• dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
    Note: "Fill" command has the same problem. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    Hi @dan_engerer - there is no need to create a surface - if you create the sheet metal from the sketch (using thicken) then you will not have this problem. The reason you are seeing this is because you sketched on the face of a part which creates regions. The regions then appear in the surface, which then appear in the sheet metal. Another way around this is to create a plane on the face of the part then use that for your sketch - then you will not get regions.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Also I would avoid using "fill" when creating sheet metal parts. Sheet metal requires all faces (apart from bends) to be flat and fill could potentially create a non-flat surface without you realising it.
  • dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
    Hi Neil, 

I had the same problem using the "fill" command from a sketch. 

Works for me. Can you share your doc with me or support?