Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape windows app

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any chance of seeing a windows based app of Onshape? I would like to use Onshape on a Mircosoft surface and use the touch screen capabilitites. I can use it with a keyboard and mouse but would be great to use in tablet mode since this is the portable device I bring to the shop floor to update models and discuss design with shop personel.

I pad and I phone have an app. The windows app would work for windows phones and surface tablets in similar fashion. 

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @bryan_lagrange - I think what you're asking for is a gesture ui (would still run in the browser).
    We do talk about doing this from time to time. If you would like to submit an enhancement request, please feel free so that we can record your interest.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @bryan_lagrange - I think what you're asking for is a gesture ui (would still run in the browser).
    We do talk about doing this from time to time. If you would like to submit an enhancement request, please feel free so that we can record your interest.

I would like very much to use gestures on windows with onshape please
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    samuel_hollandsamuel_holland Member Posts: 30 PRO
    I use the "save to desktop" option in Chrome to make a stand-alone app that runs onshape. It's not perfect but gets the job done! 
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-for-web-pages-using-chrome

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I use the "save to desktop" option in Chrome to make a stand-alone app that runs onshape. It's not perfect but gets the job done! 
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-for-web-pages-using-chrome

Sam - just to be clear, Onshape runs in a browser, or natively on IOS & Android.
    What you're describing is the creation of a link to Chrome that takes you directly to cad.onshape.com with a reduced UI.
    Your suggestion does indeed save a couple of clicks! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    erikterikt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Hi.
    Has there been any advancements in this regard? I too am now a MS Surface owner, and I would find a Windows 10 app or the gesture UI very much useful on that device.
    Best regards,
    Erik
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a surface, but do have another 2-in1 device with stylus support. Several times, I've tried to move something around or zoom-in because I forget that gestures aren't supported.

It would be great for presenting/review models where "fluency" of manipulation maybe more important compared to modeling, where precision would probably be more important.

I see the feature request link in a previous post, but it looks like it's dead. Is there another open feature request somewhere that I can vote on?
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    erikt said:
    Hi.
    Has there been any advancements in this regard? I too am now a MS Surface owner, and I would find a Windows 10 app or the gesture UI very much useful on that device.
    Best regards,
    Erik

You can vote for my Idea:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5308/ability-to-use-load-mobile-ui-on-the-browser-support-touch#latest

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    erikterikt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Done, thanks!
    It would be awesome if it were actually possible to do modelling on a tablet like the Surface, using just the pen. I was actually able to use it through an Android emulator called BlueStacks. I could actually use it like that if it would be possible to pan with left+right click. The Surface Pro pen's tip touch acts as the left button and it has another button on the side for right click, so it seems it could be quite convenient. 
    Using it through an Android emulator like this is obviously a pure waste of resources though... 

Erik