Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part + Part Studio Branch Merge

This discussion was created from comments split from: Variable support for pattern instances.

Comments

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited January 2018
    This was one of my first post/comments when I first had access to Onshape a couple of years ago. It's still unclear what OS' strategy is in this regard. While the simplicity of Versioning and Branching is amazing, leaving that to the Document level results in poor Data Management practices. One could end with a Document that has hundreds of items in it (Parts, Assemblies and/or Drawings). The current state of the software works well for the initial conceptualization phase of a design, but in a realistic production environment (PDM, MRP, PLM, ERP systems) this will not fly!

I hope something of this nature is already in the works, as I dive deeper into OS this is probably my biggest concern :/ ; since in all the training content (videos, webinars..) they seem to not address this as a limitation.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @adrian_velazquezWe are working on a number of aspects related to releasing and controlling data and incorporating a number of things with branching and merging.  More to come on this..  I moved this from the voting site as it is not a simple action.. and today our scope is the doc not a part.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited February 2018
    Hi had the opportunity to discuss this with @philip_thomas last week. I expressed my concerns to him in this regard and he introduced me to his article:

https://learn.onshape.com/learn/article/product-structure-organization-tips

This helped make a difference in my opinion, my comments now is:

Why is this not broadcast as a best practice in all the training content? All the content I can find is using the premise that you can dumb ALL YOUR WORK in one document and version that. From my experience that is just Bad Data Management.

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @adrian_velazquez - thank you for the feedback, we take all of this very seriously and plan on incorporating these insights into future training offerings.
    That said, we are glad to have been able to help you and look forward to working with you more closely over the coming weeks and months! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape