Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

WebGL not enabled - message on Vivaldi 1.13 Linux

jess_robinson995jess_robinson995 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
Hi all,

I was happily using Onshape, using Vivaldi on Linux, up until somewhen late last year.. This year I updated the browser from 1.9 to 1.13, and WebGL in Onshape stopped working..

the spinny box on get.webgl.org is spinning just fine, any ideas?

sad Jess..
Tagged:

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Have you experimented with opera, chromium, or firefox? 
  • john_de_freitasjohn_de_freitas Member Posts: 3
    Jess,

Please try loading https://cad.onshape.com/check. That page runs a few tests for Onshape browser compatibility.

I've also installed the latest stable 1.13 64 bit vivaldi release (1.13.1008.44) on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 5), and am able to open Onshape documents. If the browser check page looks OK, are there any errors in the vivaldi console?

Regards,
    John de Freitas
  • jess_robinson995jess_robinson995 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Hi John,

That page is fairly negative :(

User agent
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.97 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.94.1008.44

Core WebGL X
    Float textures X
    Float textures are used for section planes and blending of transparent objects. Without this extension, this functionality will be disabled.

Anisotropic texture filtering X
    Anisotropic texture filtering is used to provide high-quality texture rendering in the 3D scene.

32-bit indices X

32-bit indices are used to optimize rendering performance. Lack of 32-bit index support may result in decreased rendering performance.

Your browser does not have WebGL enabled. 
    Click here to learn more about the system requirements.
    vivaldi://flags has : WebGL 2.0 Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
    Allow web applications to access WebGL 2.0. #enable-es3-apis
     .. Enabled
    For what it's worth.. google-chrome has a much greener looking webgl "check" page... but still refuses to work when viewing an onshape doc :(

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    Hi Jess, 

A few questions :

- What exactly do you see, when you open an Onshape document? Can you post a screen shot?
    - Have you checked out some of the troubleshooting steps described here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/webgl.htm
    - Do you see any error messages in the Chrome debug console?
    - What graphics card do you have? Are the drivers up to date? 
    - As a test can you try opening this WebGL heavy page : https://threejs.org/examples/#webgl_materials_cars ?

Thanks
    Paul
    When I first try and load a document, it does sort of work - it displays the 3 axses, but they are black, the cube that should display top/left/right is also there but unreadable text.. I can hit "top", it attempts to display the top view.. then the whole page says "One moment..." and then this happens:

I cant seem to force it back to that initial "attempting to work" view, I guess its somehow stores the "not working" flag - tried deleting all the cookies and local storage etc, no dice.

I can see shiny spinning cars on the thereejs.org page.

I think Im using the AMD onboard graphics device.. no idea re drivers ;) - lspci says: 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]

Woo! I turned on Override software rendering list in vivaldi://flags.. and now it seems to be working!

Will see how it goes.. (I wonder what vivaldi changed.. or maybe the underlying chromium did..)

Seems to mostly work.. somehow none of the rotate/pan mouse gestures work..

I tried changing the settings in account/preferences - no difference.

Mouse gestures not turned on in browser at all.. odd.

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    If the software renderer works, I suspect there is an issue with the graphics drivers.

With regards to the mouse gestures, do other browsers have the same issue as well. If this is Vivaldi only, can you try disabling the mouse gestures and then try Onshape? 

Can you also check in the Vivaldi forums to see if they have any suggestions?
    If the software renderer works, I suspect there is an issue with the graphics drivers.

With regards to the mouse gestures, do other browsers have the same issue as well. If this is Vivaldi only, can you try disabling the mouse gestures and then try Onshape? 

Can you also check in the Vivaldi forums to see if they have any suggestions?
    The mouse gestures (in vivaldi, for navigating pages) are already disabled.. or did you mean the OnShape ones?

Poking graphics drivers...

Meanwhile, tried google-chrome again.. it seems to be fully functioning at the moment - without messing with its settings/flags, it both doesnt complain about webgl, and the mouse works.. 

such fun..

Installed vivaldi 1.9 snapshot just see if that would work.. nope - same webgl issue.. and flags page doesn't load..
    heh, discovered a new thing.. not sure if this exists elsewhere.. vivaldi://gpu tells me about all the gpu related things. Shame I didnt screenshot it post gpu driver upgrade.. it definitely said hardware acceleration disabled, and WebGL2 not supported... Now it says:

The onshape check pages now says:

however.. actual document pages look the same as before :( - loads with oddly black planes.. then goes to the "doesnt have webgl enabled" popup.. this is with software rendering turned off again, for a test..

Story gets wierder.. earlier, just after reboot/browsewr start, I had vivaldi://gpu as shown in image above, now it looks like this:

and the onshape webgl check page is back to red Xs.. is it possible that starting onshape causes my browser to turn off hardware acceleration?

• john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    Some browsers remember if there has been a problem and refuse to use the card again.   In that case the graphics card will appear to work until the first problem, then it will be disabled. 
    cheeky of em..

I managed to capture what things look like just before onshape gives up:

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    That 0.2 million triangles a sec reading looks suspect, my crappy on-board graphics gave 17 million, dedicated card gave 380 million...

Owen S,
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    cheeky of em..

Looks Cool :)

how come you've got about 65 tabs open??

Does that improve performance?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    cheeky of em..

Looks Cool :)

how come you've got about 65 tabs open??

Does that improve performance?
    That's just how life is.. that's not all of em, there are 2 other windows (tho not quite as full..)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    And your browser is sharing its maximum available memory between them...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited February 2018
    And your browser is sharing its maximum available memory between them...
    It has plenty over:
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            14G        6.7G        523M        685M        7.4G        6.9G
    Swap:           11G         12M         11G

.. and its not, quite.. I have a Tab Suspender installed.. ;)