Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Import from inventor

brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
Could anyone give some advice please. I am making the the transition from Inventor to Onshape and it is going quite well ,learning something new each day, many times with your help. I am using a Mac for my Onshape but my Inventor runs in Windows via parallels desktop.As I am now a Onshape convert I would like to remove windows 10 and parallels from the Mac to free up space. As files from other drawing programs can be imported into Onshape my query is. I have several projects in Inventor, which would be classed as documents in Onshape. these projects contain drawings , Parts, Assemblies, and sketches. Can the project files be moved or imported into Onshape to prevent them and the work put into them being lost. Or maybe some other way of preserving the files to be used in Onshape at a later date.
Any help would be appreciated Best Regards Brian.

Comments

• Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Here is the help page for importing files. Most likely, you should back up your related files together and zip them with the name of the top level assembly as the name of the zip file.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#uploadfiles.htm?TocPath=Importing%20%26%20Exporting%20Files|Importing%20Files|_____0
  • Options
    brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Many thanks I am sure this is the way forward, I am yet to study this but very much appreciate your advice.
    Brian.
  • Options
    sjalifesjalife Member, Developers Posts: 24 PRO
    Did you succeed? 
    I need to migrate hundreds of different projects and have not found the correct method.

Can you give me some specifics to import successfully?
    Does it import your feature tree or just the geometry?
  • Options
    rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    I successfully imported an ipt file into onshape.  It is only an import file.  There is not any feature history to work with.  It appears that import files can not be modified as there are not any sketches and models features to manipulate or modify.  Disappointing.