Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Embeddable Public Document Viewer

roryaronsonroryaronson Member Posts: 24 PRO
I run a large open-source hardware project called FarmBot (https://farmbot.io). We would like to embed/display our OnShape documents (Part Studios, Assemblies, and Drawings) in a view-only mode on our documentation website. That way our customers/community can view/drag/rotate the parts and assemblies around without needing an OnShape account, without having to leave our website, without being overwhelmed by all the other OnShape tools/controls, and without having to load up the entire (heavy) OnShape workspace. Then as we update stuff in OnShape, we would no longer need to re-export drawings as images and re-upload them to our documentation hub, or re-screenshot our components, etc. Instead it would always be the latest and greatest.

I know that I can make a public link right now for the entire workspace, but it would be nice to have embeds for all the Tabs, and an optimized lightweight viewer. In the meantime we use SketchFab for embedded 3D viewers, but just using OnShape would be way better!
Tagged:

Comments

• joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    So the link will work for most of what you want to do. You just need to break your single document into several separate documents that link to bigger one. everything would be up to date and the size of each document would be up to you.

Alternatively, if you really want to go lightweight. You can use Clara.io. it would save some work compared to sketchfab, since it is an Integrated Cloud App. 

Here is an example, (as I completely screw up my family web page... oh well)

http://thedunne.com/

Joe

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • roryaronsonroryaronson Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Thanks for the help Joe. We prefer (for now) to keep all of our stuff in a single workspace, but its good to know thats an option. I'm going to try out clara.io now.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I run a large open-source hardware project called FarmBot (https://farmbot.io). We would like to embed/display our OnShape documents (Part Studios, Assemblies, and Drawings) in a view-only mode on our documentation website. That way our customers/community can view/drag/rotate the parts and assemblies around without needing an OnShape account, without having to leave our website, without being overwhelmed by all the other OnShape tools/controls, and without having to load up the entire (heavy) OnShape workspace. Then as we update stuff in OnShape, we would no longer need to re-export drawings as images and re-upload them to our documentation hub, or re-screenshot our components, etc. Instead it would always be the latest and greatest.

I know that I can make a public link right now for the entire workspace, but it would be nice to have embeds for all the Tabs, and an optimized lightweight viewer. In the meantime we use SketchFab for embedded 3D viewers, but just using OnShape would be way better!
    @roryaronson
    @joe_dunne

That would be really useful
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • sjalifesjalife Member, Developers Posts: 24 PRO
    I'm on the same train. 
    Also request this functionality.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Yes, me too, Joe

• mirek_kasparmirek_kaspar Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone of you guys found a solution?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Check this out.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16203/building-an-onshape-model-viewer#latest

A viewer is something everyone is looking for except it's not trivial. I've been working on it since there was an OS and haven't mastered it yet. The technology is changing as we speak and it's getting more powerful but it's not going to be easy.