Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Flat patterns and drawings

Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
Two questions and I may be just oblivious to the answers:
1. How can one when in a drawing insert a flat pattern? It is not in the insert view menu and I would hate to have to make a new drawing every time I need to add a flat pattern view. I want them all in the same drawing tab
2. How do I get rid of the bend text? I cannot hit delete, ctrl x or command x is not working and right clicking does not give me a dialog to remove the text. See the pic below for the text I want to remove.

Comments

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Update: Right clicking the view (not the note) you can choose hide bend notes. But why is this not in the right click when on the bend note text?
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @Ben_ Thank you for your feedback - we'll look into improving user experience of this functionality. Please notice that even though flat pattern is not in the insert menu by default., if you pick the Flat pattern filter, it will show up:
  • bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    Hi Ben,

Great questions.

We should have the "Hide bend notes" command on the bend note text.  I'll write a bug to fix that.

To insert a flat pattern into an existing drawing:
    • In the drawing toolbar, click on the Insert view toolbar button
    • In the dialog that appears, click on the little button on the left side to open a second dialog
    • In the second dialog, make sure you have chosen Part Studios
    • Then right below the search text box, there are 3 icons.  Click the far right one - with the tooltip "Flat patterns".
    • Then below the 3 icons in the dialog, click on the part studio and then on the Flat pattern of xxx choice.
    That should result in you inserting a flat pattern into your drawing.

Thanks -Bob

Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Completely missed the icons for flat pattern. Thanks!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    bobminer said:
    Hi Ben,

Great questions.

We should have the "Hide bend notes" command on the bend note text.  I'll write a bug to fix that.

This will be really handy Bob, I have a supply that requires their own special blend of bend notes, atm I can not remove the standard ones to create the special ones with text.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @brucebartlett @Ben_ Currently you can hide bend notes on a view by right clicking the view and choosing "Hide bend notes".  The bug Bob wrote will permit this action also from an existing note on the view.  Once bend notes are hidden, you will still need the view option to bring them back.  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    @brucebartlett @Ben_ Currently you can hide bend notes on a view by right clicking the view and choosing "Hide bend notes".  The bug Bob wrote will permit this action also from an existing note on the view.  Once bend notes are hidden, you will still need the view option to bring them back.  
    Thank @PeteYodis I'll try that. 
    @PeteYodis it still took me a while to work this one out, I have been right clicking on the note, not the view.

• terry_pipkinterry_pipkin Member Posts: 48 PRO
    I suggested the ability to modify the bend notes text so they can be changed to reflect each companies individual work flow. It's been awhile so I don't even remember if I made an actual improvement request.(Our typical instructions would say bend up 90 deg. @ 1.500" o.s.) I'm not sure why it is done this way here but it is.