Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How are you using Onshape Organizations and how can we improve them?

abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in General
The UX team is doing some research into organizing groups of users and documents to continue to improve Onshape's collaboration experience.  Our current solution is Onshape Organizations, and though we have several ideas for improving their workflow and functionality, we want to hear your thoughts.

Have you used Organizations in Onshape?  What have you done with them?  Are there improvements you'd like to see or other ideas you have for collaborating with large groups?
Abe Feldman
UX/PD/Community Support

Comments

• Options
    devon_sowelldevon_sowell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hello @Abe Please define Onshape Organizations. In the UI where are they located?

Thanks.
    Devon Sowell
    Engineering Consulting Partner
    Professor, Engineering Technology, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA
    sowelldevon@gmail.com
    760 809 9046
    CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
  • Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    @Devon_Sowell - Organizations in Onshape are a way to group users together for easy collaboration, on a project or otherwise.  The UI is a bit buried at the moment, but can be found by clicking your user name in the top right corner of the page and selecting "Create organization."  Some more information can be found here:  https://cad.onshape.com/help/#web-help/organizations.htm.

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    For me this a bit early since I would need the basic tools first to be able to get OnS into production use. Currently I'm just modeling a little this and that where current feature set is enough.

I have examined Organizations and have some thoughts how to use them in my work.
    Collaboration features are something that would need a real world situation to be able to address the improvements that actually helps.

So no further requests to Organizations at the moment.  
    //rami
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Is this the same as Companies? If so you need to be able to move a document to the company user (which you might well be able to do now but I can't check here)
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Abe
    We are a consulting company and we are right now looking for the best way to 
    organize groups of users and documents.

We would like to set some levels in the Organizations. So we could organize our work in customers and projects (team projects)

Customer A
      Project 1 or TeamProject1
      Project2
        SubProject

Customer B
     Project3
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    r_paulr_paul Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I'm with 3dcad Abe.  I like what I see in Ons but still using it (mainly) to see how best it fits so, have still not ventured down the organization/collaboration road just yet.  Have introduced some others to Ons just in the last few days, collaboration being the reason for doing so.  When they come up to speed, we choose a project and put it into practice maybe, then we could give some useful feedback.