Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape User Groups

noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
With the excitement of Onshape spreading, we are finding that more and more people want to meet up in person and design together. Some people have already gone ahead and begun creating "users groups" and have asked Onshape for support. We are very excited by this.

Before computers, products were designed by hand and often by teams meeting in person. Onshape comes close with its real time collaboration, but there is something special about designing together face to face. We wholeheartedly want to support user groups and plan on growing this effort down the road but to start, we need to know how we can best help.

If you are interested in starting a user group, what can Onshape do to best help you? 

If you were to attend an Onshape user group meeting, what would you expect from it?

I could imagine Onshape providing marketing templates, event ideas, sneak peaks at upcoming features, prizes for design competitions and more, but what do you think?

-Noa
Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.

Comments

• devon_sowelldevon_sowell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hello Noa-

Here in San Diego,CA Onshape we are using Meet Up to organize an Onshape User Group, thanks @"Joe Dunne" 
    http://www.meetup.com/

We're working on creating our first Onshape User Group Meeting in May 2015. Lots of buzz here in San Diego about Onshape. I'm looking forward to this first meeting.

Cheers!

Devon Sowell
    Engineering Consulting Partner
    Professor, Engineering Technology, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA
    sowelldevon@gmail.com
    760 809 9046
    CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    If there is anyone in the UK that's interested in setting up a user group, maybe we can start to organise something as well. Let me know
  • cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    I'm open to creating and starting a group around Ames, IA.  Are there any other Onshapers in Iowa?
    imagine.create.deliver
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    If anyone in Australia is interested in a User's Group Let me Know.
    babart77@gmail.com
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bruce,

I'll attend if the group pays for the travel costs ;)

W
    imagine.create.deliver
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2015
    @Cyclonewade  Like your thinking, maybe you could do the same for me.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Cyclo&Bruce, Immediately begun calculating costs because it would be the only way to make it happen in Finland. Google maps wasn't able to provide driving route though  :/
    //rami
  • rich_in_slorich_in_slo Member Posts: 4
    Users' groups would be a great idea. I'm in San Luis Obispo, CA. USA. Our local MakerSpace (slomakerspace dot com) has about 4 members who have begun using OS. This space would be a good location for meetings. (In fact, I'll make the executive decision and offer it up.)
    What would help us would be an expert (pro) at meetings to give guidance/tips on operation.

Oh, and maybe you could give us the software for free too ;-D
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Of course, there needs to be one here in Boston! I have a host of ideas that I could present about.

Does anybody have a space we could take over for a night? Would Onshape open up there offices after hours?
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    I'm glad to see so much interest in Onshape user groups! Perhaps Onshape can help by providing a tool for you to find others in your area that want to meet up.

@Rich_in_SLO I bet we could arrange for myself or another Onshape rep to join via skype or similar tool, let's talk.

@FastwayJim There are many maker spaces around Boston and Cambridge that I bet would work (such as Artist's Asylum). We might be able to arrange for a visit to Onshape for one of the meetings.

Keep the feedback coming!
    -Noa
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to start a user group in Spain and Portugal.

@NoaI think that it is a great idea provide a tool to find Onshape users in our area
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • jarijari Member Posts: 2
    @3dcadIt is only few euro's from a Teuva to Laihia. Or vice versa  B)
    @Jari  I have actually seen a bunch of Finnish users in the forum.. maybe I'm wrong and we could have a user group in Finland

//rami
  • jarijari Member Posts: 2
    Users' groups would be a great idea... but I believe one major idea what OnS is, it does not matter where the users are from.  :o
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @Rich_in_SLO   I am about a 2 hr drive from SLO and would be happy to present at any meeting.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    @Noa - I've never been to AA, but I can't think of a better reason to go check it out! I'll drop them a line to see how we would get the process started... If nobody at OS is taking the lead on that, I can try!
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    If online meeting came to Onshape in some form, it would be great to meet up digitally so to speak - rather than only locally.  Don't get me wrong, local is still nice and good in its own way too.
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @FastwayJim- The more hands, the better! I'd love to hear what you find out.

@Pete_Yodis- I can imagine a hybrid of both. Maybe there are in person meetings and people can Skype in to join remotely. That's how we conduct a lot of our own meetings here at Onshape.

-Noa

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @Noa Sounds great to me.
    @Rich_in_SLO   I am about a 2 hr drive from SLO and would be happy to present at any meeting.
    That would be great. Let me see what kind of interest I can get from the general community for a users' group, and go from there.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited May 2015
    @Rich_in_SLO , I am south of you near Ventura.  Please put me on your distribution.  I'd love to travel up and attend a mtg with you all.

You can message me here.

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
    @SteveHess, Will do. (Or at least will try!)  Ventura huh?  Born & raised in Oak View.
  • darrel_dufforddarrel_dufford Member Posts: 2
    Anyone out there in the Phoenix area that would like to meet up?
    I have made several attempts to contact the MeetUp organizers and Onshape employees to see if something can happen here. I have not heard back from anyone.
  • Markku_LMarkku_L Member Posts: 32 PRO
    3dcad said:
    @Jari  I have actually seen a bunch of Finnish users in the forum.. maybe I'm wrong and we could have a user group in Finland

How about website for Finnish people, onshape.fi? Or fb group?
    br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
  • Markku_LMarkku_L Member Posts: 32 PRO
    3dcad said:

How about website for Finnish people, onshape.fi?
    br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
    @Markku_4
    If there is a reason why we should have our own community, I could set it up into 3dcad.fi ; But what would we do there? I suppose it's ok to write in native language also here if you start new thread, but even 'google translate' english can get things solved.. 
    //rami
  • eden_orioneden_orion Member Posts: 1
    Hello 
    My name is Eden Orion.
    I got into Onshape several weeks ago and got hooked!
    Since I have some experience in creating groups and communities, I've started an Onshape Israeli user group on Facebook.
    Two days after we are 222 members and counting...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2238926629683472/
    It is in Hebrew.
    Just to let you know.
    Stay tuned
    Eden