Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

connection speed to server

sergei_nesterovsergei_nesterov Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
I am in Russia. I'm studying Onshape, I'm making small details. With the number of features about 26 units, noticeable slowdowns appear in the program's operation. So the question arises, Onshape only works on one server? , can there be an option to choose a server? Is there any way to speed up the data processing?

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi sergei_nesterov,

I would recommend going to the 'System check' page to get a quick assessment of your setup and connection.  As part of it, it will tell you which region you connect to.

For example, my check page:

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • sergei_nesterovsergei_nesterov Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    This is my Test. How I can see my PC not have much power. Is the video card to blame? 
    She is not young, but she copes with her duties. If I were drawing in an ordinary desktop-3d-application, then there would be no slowdowns.

What should be the characteristics (hardware) of the computer for comfortable work in onshape?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @sergei_nesterov

It does appear that your graphics card is probably causing the issues you are seeing, the triangles and lines per second metrics are fairly low.  The connection to the server is responsible for delivering geometric data to you.  If you experience slow load times when adding, editing, and removing features, this could have to do with either a) your model's complexity or b) a slow connection to the server.  If you are experiencing slowness in framerates, selection, and other interactive performance after the changed geometry has loaded, your problem has to do with your graphics hardware.

We put together an official hardware guide here:
    https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/what-hardware-gives-you-the-best-onshape-experience (click on "hardware recommendations guide")

And some of our users have been discussing their own hardware and performance here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5225/performance-test-results/p1
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It's pretty obvious the GFX card does affect it, but whether it affects the Onshape object computation/compilation speed, or just the image redraw speed, I'm not sure.

Did you read this?: https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#cshid=webgl
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @SledDriver

Your graphics hardware will affect interactive performance (rotation framerate, redraw for highlighting when you move your mouse over the geometry) and your CPU will affect geometry processing a.k.a. load times (both initially opening the document and upon feature creation, feature edit, etc.)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    @sergei_nesterov - Your latency numbers look OK (and as expected from your location to our servers in Ireland). I think your GPU performance is definitely to blame.

What version of Ubuntu are you running? Which graphics drivers?
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    @sergei_nesterov - Your latency numbers look OK (and as expected from your location to our servers in Ireland). I think your GPU performance is definitely to blame.

What version of Ubuntu are you running? Which graphics drivers?
    LinuxMint17 (Ubuntu 16.04)
    NVIDIA Driver Version: 340.104
    Intel Core2 Quad Processor 2.33 GHz

Hi @SledDriver

Your graphics hardware will affect interactive performance (rotation framerate, redraw for highlighting when you move your mouse over the geometry) ......
    Yes. It looks like my problem.

it's time to do an upgrade. 
    Another question, which browser is preferable?
    I use Chromium Version 64.0.3282.167 as major browser for internet surfing. And Firefox 58.0.2 as spare browser with one opened tab.
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Both browsers are fine. At least on Mac, the latest Firefox is a little speedier, but Chrome is what I use on a daily basis. Either should be fine after your upgrade. The nice thing about Onshape is that you can easily test multiple browsers and see what works best for your environment.

Let us know what your experience is once you do the upgrade!
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Probably won't hurt to close some of those tabs either. :D You're just overloading that old dinosaur  :p
    Probably won't hurt to close some of those tabs either. :D You're just overloading that old dinosaur  :p

This dinosaur is still capable of much! I had another 4 browser-windows open. The computer worked without complaints. The questions were only to 3d in the browser. After their closing, nothing has changed. By the way, in Firefox 3d was smoother.