Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Alibre / Solid Edge Translate

don_rutherforddon_rutherford Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
I have uploaded some files generated in Alibre and some generated in Solid Edge. I have not been able to translate them into files that are usable by Onshape. Are these file types not supported? Will they be supported in the future?
Regards, Don.

Answers

• david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    I have had success at exporting Alibre part files to solidworks part files and then uploading them to OnS and translate them to OnS

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @don_rutherford The full list of file types Onshape supports is found here:  https://cad.onshape.com/help/#web-help/export.htm.  Sadly, Alibre and SolidEdge are not there yet, but you should be able to export your files as JT to use in Onshape.

I'll add your request for Alibre and SolidEdge support as an improvement.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited April 2015
    SolidEdge uses an industry standard kernel (Parasolid). This is the same kernel that both SolidWorks and Onshape use.  This commonality means that (especially when importing assemblies), you get the assembly structure, part names and colors. Bottom line - use the Parasolid file format to get SolidEdge data into Onshape . Alibre on the other hand, uses the ACIS kernel (also known as .SAT) and that is the file format that should be used to import data into Onshape. I hope this helps :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Alibre seems to stick in people's minds though it's been couple of years when 3D systems changed name to Geomagic Design (information for those who don't know what is Alibre).

I would also like to see direct import for Geomagic Design native files, export is always an extra step. I have already put in the ticket for this. Just waiting for it now  B)
    //rami
  • frédéricfrédéric Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    to 3dcad, it's also named Cubify Design, with a reduced number of exported file format at a low price (149€) for 3D printing use.
    only 2D DWG/DXF and 3D STL and Alibre file format. (well, also no sheet metal and BOM option..).
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @frédéric Yep, thanks for pointing that out. Alibre Xpress -> Alibre Personal -> Geomagic Design Personal -> Cubify Design (loved child has many names)

I'm not sure if Cubify has some life on it's own since GD is at version 2015 (v17) and Cubify seems to be older CubifyDesign_V2014_15088 (V16)..
    There is global parameters that propably change the file to be different between V16 and V17 - 3D Systems seems to be listed in 'Technological Partners' so I'm counting on OnS people to take care of us all o:)  
    //rami