Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part Studio

BlazBlaz Member Posts: 4
I have a few questions about the features in the Onshape Part Studio.

Is there a thin profile option when extruding or revolving a sketch? If not, is it planned to be included in one of the future versions of Onshape?
How about the offset option, for example if I draw a sketch on a Top plane, but I want that the extruded solid to start at a height of 10 mm and not directly on a Top plane?

Another thing that I noticed are some inconsistencies when a sketch is defined. For example, if I draw a sketch (e.g. circle with a hexagon hole) on one of the mail planes, the extruded solid has a hole in it. But if I then draw a sketch on one of the faces of that solid and not on any of the main planes, and with a little different dimension or position of the hole, the second extruded solid does not include the hole.
Here is the screenshot:

Best Answers

Answers

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @Blaz From @JakeRamsley suggestion, you could then perform a thicken operation on those surfaces to get your thin feature capability you were asking for.  I assume you mean something like the thin feature extrude or cut in SolidWorks?
  • BlazBlaz Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

thank you both very much, that's very helpful. These options are definitely very useful and I can definitely work with that, but I am still curious if you are still planning to release the thin extrude and offset features in one of the future versions of Onshape?

How about the other thing, the problem with defining outer sketch’s edges, do you have any idea what is wrong in my example? Is there anything that I’m doing wrong?
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JakeRamsley : QLV?
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Blaz said:
    Hi,

thank you both very much, that's very helpful. These options are definitely very useful and I can definitely work with that, but I am still curious if you are still planning to release the thin extrude and offset features in one of the future versions of Onshape?

How about the other thing, the problem with defining outer sketch’s edges, do you have any idea what is wrong in my example? Is there anything that I’m doing wrong?
    @Blaz You can submit feedback and request the thin extrude feature.  This helps Onshape to get a user request into the system and prioritize development. 

I can't help you on the second issue.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    To give you an update, @blaz, we've added you to the thin feature improvement, and marked your issue with the extrude inconsistency as a bug.  
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    @Blaz  I suppose you selected whole sketch to extrude on top of your existing extrude? I had this same issue the other day, try selecting just the shapes from sketch and not the whole sketch - it will give you the result you are after.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or feature - onshape works a bit different with sketches since you can have a lot of stuff in a sketch and extrude just some of them.. Give it a try!

//rami
  • BlazBlaz Member Posts: 4
    I tried it and it works. @3dcad thank you very much for your help.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad - in this case, it is a bug.  The extrude should recognize the internal sketched shape and make a hole around it, but it doesn't when built atop another feature.  That said, as you mentioned in your post, selecting the enclosed faces you want to feature will give you the result you expect most often.

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always refreshing when something which could be waved away as a feature is honestly labelled a bug. Kudos.