Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Use Chamfer and Fillet together

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
Why is this a even an error?

I mean, it isn't impossible geometry, I just am forced to go back and delete chamfers and re-draw them as extruded cuts instead...

Tagged:

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I might be missing the intent herh but wonder if a different approach would be to change the interface to match the assembly mates. 

With the mates it is possible to edit an existing mate to change the type, say from fixed to revolute without having to delete and start over. 

Perhaps as the chamfer and fillet functions are so similar they could be combined so you can swap a chamfer to a fillet in a drop down?

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I might be missing the intent herh but wonder if a different approach would be to change the interface to match the assembly mates. 

With the mates it is possible to edit an existing mate to change the type, say from fixed to revolute without having to delete and start over. 

Perhaps as the chamfer and fillet functions are so similar they could be combined so you can swap a chamfer to a fillet in a drop down?

Owen S
    I'm actually asking to be able to add a fillet or chamfer to an edge that was created by a chamfer or fillet.

What you are asking for is different, and is available in Solidworks as a matter of fact, although I haven't used it yet.

Through further experiments, it appears this only occurs in sheet-metal (you know the type of geometry that would normally get a fillet on every sharp corner)  :p

Owen S
    I'm actually asking to be able to add a fillet or chamfer to an edge that was created by a chamfer or fillet.

What you are asking for is different, and is available in Solidworks as a matter of fact, although I haven't used it yet.

Through further experiments, it appears this only occurs in sheet-metal (you know the type of geometry that would normally get a fillet on every sharp corner)  :p
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @john_mcclary I will follow up in a ticket.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Oh geeze, didn't realize I posted twice
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

It is because it does the chamfer as a corner break, which it then does not like corner breaking corner breaks.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100

It is because it does the chamfer as a corner break, which it then does not like corner breaking corner breaks.
    yea, but it works for non sheetmetal parts
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

yea, but it works for non sheetmetal parts
    It does non-sheet-metal parts using opFillet and opChamfer, but uses sheetMetalCornerBreak for sheet metal parts.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • ZeroDarkBirdyZeroDarkBirdy Member Posts: 3 PRO
    I get the same error. Has this been looked into?